Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

That engine looks like a piece of art already! Incredible work, Chris as always. Those gaskets are really a small thing, but I think they give a nice finishing touch for this one. Maybe I should try adding them, too, though in 1/25 scale they had to be very thin.... Well, anyway, great work!

Chris…….My little Brother…….are you aware…... that you almost have a 1/4 of a million views on this build? :o …….that is INCREDIBLE ;) ……..I think it`s very possible you could hit 1/2 a million or more by the time you finish this build :) …….I think it`s the most views here on this forums history :D ……..Hip Hip Hurray my little Brother :)

……..I think it`s very possible you could hit 1/2 a million or more by the time you finish this build :) …….

If so, would that be due to its popularity, . . . or because Chris is just bein' that dad-gummed slow? :P:lol::D

Just kidding, Chris! But John makes a valid point ~ ~ ~ ~ Incredible following you have there, young Sky-scratcher!

Chris…….My little Brother…….are you aware…... that you almost have a 1/4 of a million views on this build? :o …….that is INCREDIBLE ;) ……..I think it`s very possible you could hit 1/2 a million or more by the time you finish this build :) …….I think it`s the most views here on this forums history :D ……..Hip Hip Hurray my little Brother :)

John, if he keeps draggin' butt on this build he may hit a million ! : ) Just kidding ! Very nice work. It is a pleasure to watch this build come together.

Niko... thank you. I think the copper head gaskets give that extra little touch to the Engine ;) The material was a bronze phosporus from K&S metals.

Dave... Thank you. When I get the other parts painted I will get another mock up shot for ya ;) . I too am curious what it will look like with the painted engine sitting in the chassis...lol

Mike... thank you sir. I think I did a better job with the sheen with this one than what it was before B)

Clint... Thank you for the kind words.

Dave... I would love to hear this thing fire up. Actually I just want it assembled... :lol:

Scott... Thank you Buddy! It's coming along.

John... Thanks my big brother!!! You know I didn't realize that there was that many views.

Greg... Thanks Mate. I am very happy with the way the colors turned out for the block.

Danno... I think it is that I am so dad-gummed slow....hahaha well actually if I wouldn't redo things 4 or 5 times I would be a lot farther along.... :lol:

Ray... Thank you for the kind words. I hopefully won't be draggin' my butt because I really want to get this one finished.

Well Guys little update. Haven't had time to work on it today but going to hit the work bench here shortly to work more on the valve covers and blowers. But I did go to my local PPG shop here and had them mix up some blue paint for this build. So now I have all of the colors to spray the body when it is ready for paint.... :D Hoping to have more updates for you soon.

Alan... Glad to hear...the gaskets add that extra pop

Brad... thank you. I have been enjoying sharing every part of this build with everyone. Even all of my screw ups that I have made along the way.

Ok So I have a question for all of you. Here are 2 pics of different blower manifold and I am not sure which way to go with the color of the burst panel. I will show you both pics. one pic the blow off panel is a lighter color than the other. let me know what you think. I also may to a test shoot out of the royal/navy blue for the body tomorrow. thanks

Lighter Burst Panel;

blowermanifold2-vi_zpsd868520d.jpg

Darker Burst Panel:

Blowermanifold_zps1622cd2d.jpg

I'm on the fence on this one. Hmmmmmmm.

The one that's lighter adds contrast that will make that particular detail show up better on the model.

On the other tentacle, the darker one looks more realistic.

Do what you normally do. Make 12 different ones and then settle for what you were going to do in the first place.

You're Welcome. Anytime.

Bob... Thank you for your input. I am still having trouble seeing the burst panel in my reference pics of the car.

Joe.... LOL... thank you for your input as well. I know what you exactly mean that the lighter one give more contrast but I am with you that the darker one looks more realistic. Don't think I am going to do 12 different ones this time. gonna figure out which direction to go and hopefully only shoot it once...lol

Hello Fellas... I wanted to share with you a few pics of some test spray outs for the blue for the body. I went to the paint shop yesterday and picked up some PPG blue for the body and did a test spray out. Besides the blue I also have some white base that I may tone the blue down with. I wanted to see what it looked like first with just the color I choose but when it comes time to actually paint the body I may lighten it up some with the base color that is used in it. Wanted to see what everyone thought of about the color. It was really hard to tell what the actual color was from the different pictures I have. Some shots show its lighter, some were darker and it all depended on what type of light it was under. But as far as I know, I believe it was a solid blue. Anyway here are a few shots....

After a couple of coats:

DP-Army-Vega4111-1_zpsff4574c6.jpg

A few more coats:

DP-Army-Vega4112-1_zpsd4b00a81.jpg

A Couple More:

DP-Army-Vega4113-1_zps40f27989.jpg

Inside finished shot:

DP-Army-Vega4121-1_zps6192c568.jpg

Outside finished shot, with my little helper and partner in crime... B) Keep in mind that I can still alter the color by adding more of the white that makes this color up. I picked up an ounce or two of the white that is in this mixture so I can change the tone of it:

DP-Army-Vega4126-1_zps4a4897de.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Henry... Thanks... I taught him everything he knows lol :D

Mike... Thank you. I really wished I knew what the color code on the real car is...lol because I was torn between the two from the left.

Robert... Thank you. It took him a while to learn how to airbrush lol

Dave.... Yep my dog is gonna take over...hahah

Alan... Thank you....I have various parts from Pro Tech and FutureAttraction that I will be using for the linkages. I do have some drag details for 1/24 1/25th stuff. If you would like I can take pics of them and post them for you.