Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

SO.... I got a little work done on it tonight but not as much as I was hoping but planning on getting a lot of bench time in this weekend. I decided to take a break from the hatch for the night and I worked on getting the pulleys all mounted. Now they aren't glued on or anything yet but I had to rework the block a little. anyway here is a couple pics...

Here is the pulleys mounted on the engine. I had to pull the stud out of the block for the original pulley and then re-drill for the new one. As well as the Idler pulley I had to rework the mount a little bit to get it to the correct location. And the blower I had to sleeve for the shaft on the pulley:

DP-Army-Vega4447-1_zpsd414397e.jpg

After putting the pulley's on I had to set the block in the engine and take a pic B) :

DP-Army-Vega4457-1_zpsd401d701.jpg

After putting the pulley's on I had to set the block in the engine and take a pic B) :

DP-Army-Vega4457-1_zpsd401d701.jpg

Oh yeah baby.......... B) Chris, just LOVING this shot mate. :wub:

Hey, GREAT work on the hatch too buddy. I know you're not overly happy with the hinge alignment, but knowing your dedication, it WILL look FANtastic mate. :) B) ;)

Danno.... Thanks buddy... little bit of a nigh owl last night? ;) or early riser :lol:

Gregg... how's my Aussie Mate doing?? It's great to see you back here. I am hoping you have been getting to get some time in on your builds. I have been itching for some updates on your projects... :D You know the Hinge assembly I am very happy with. It functions beautiful. The only part that I wasn't happy with is those bolts weren't in a straight line and was just mad at myself :angry: . I should of paid more attention when I was setting my template up to drill. It will be an easy fix... glue some rod into the hatch panel holes, Solder up the holes on the hinge and then start back from the beginning... and then it will be fixed ;) Gonna work on it today.

Henry.... Thanks.

Dave... Thank you. The Template with the holes is a marking ruler that I got from Micro Marks. This one is a 6" long and runs about $15 bucks, but they also have a 12" one too. Here is the link for it:

http://www.micromark.com/marking-rule-6-inch,7784.html.

Brad... Thank you. I knew you would like seeing me back on the engine ;) . Dave hit a Grandslam with the pulleys and this was the first time I got to really see all of them on the engine and it looks perfect. I can't wait for you to see it in person.

Danno.... Thanks buddy... little bit of a nigh owl last night? ;) or early riser :lol:

Sometimes I just wake up in the middle of the night wondering what progress you've made on the funny car . . . and I just have to log on to look! :rolleyes:

:lol::D

Seriously, had some of that Midnight Oil that needed burning. B)

Danno.... Hahaha, now that's funny. I know what you mean about having midnight oil at times.

Dave.... I think it looks freaking awesome and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thank you again!

Brad... You are right about that.

John... Thanks Brother.... I always appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

Jason... Thank you sir.

Well Fellas... got some bench time in today, not as much as planned but I did get to make my fix on the hatch but i am still debating if I I am liking it 100% and want your honest opinions on it. I will let the pictures do the talking....

I first started out by drilling the existing holes out and then glued in .025" dia Evergreen rod in place:

DP-Army-Vega4464-1_zpsa41cd196.jpg

Next I made a make shift jig to hold the hinge for soldering:

DP-Army-Vega4470-1_zpsc6364e18.jpg

I then added extra support because the hinge seemed to move when soldering and then got the parts holes soldered up:

DP-Army-Vega4473-1_zps6c7ac4a7.jpg

Here is the hinge after I filed and sanded down the solder joint:

DP-Army-Vega4478-1_zpsde597708.jpg

Now here is the hinge with the holes drilled in it:

DP-Army-Vega4482-1_zps32ac59d0.jpg

I then took the hatch and got it in place with my spacers and laid tape to hold it in place for when I transfer drilled the holes:

DP-Army-Vega4486-1_zpse5dfa1e2.jpg

Here are the results of redrilling the holes.... I am going to show you the before and afters of each side and I want to hear what you have to say because I am debating on redrilling them again because i am not sure I am 100% happy because one or two are a little off. Let me know your thoughts, Thanks:

Left Side Before:

DP-Army-Vega4423-1_zpsf8efc8b9.jpg

Left Side After:

DP-Army-Vega4490-1_zpsde8d9c9e.jpg

Right Side Before:

DP-Army-Vega4420-1_zps2e099199.jpg

Right Side After:

DP-Army-Vega4489-1_zps4cfb1310.jpg

Wohoo! Hey Chris, GREAT save mate, that looks a million dollars buddy. B) B)

I just knew you would have this fix all nutted out in your head, and making it work, well that was a given, we all know your skill set mate. Two thumbs up from your Aussie bud. B) :)

Chris, I hate to say it, but it just has to be said:

Who's to say the 1:1 was as exacting as you are making your replica? Let's face it. Drills slip or wander in the full scale world, too. Your fix looks good, man. Don't obsess over a little bolt drift.

As Brad says, grind 'em down and body color the whole thing and no one is going to IPMS your fastener alignment. Anybody who hasn't seen this segment of your WIP post is never going to notice anyway, because they're going to be so blown away by the overall build!

Relax, dude! She's awesome as she is. B)

Greg... Thanks Mate!! I have to agree it does look better the 2nd time around :lol:

David... Thank you. I guess I am taking the hatch detail a little more overboard than I should.... :o:lol:

Brad... Thanks Buddy. You are correct that I am planning on taking the bolts and sanding the hex down to make it look more like a rivet or machine screw. Take a look at the pic below for the samples I already did. I will also post a reference pic of the car and the bolts look like they are black

Danno... Thank man. You really helped me put it into perspective. You are right that sometimes on the real ones they may not of had it perfect. I guess I have been really trying to knock every little detail out of the park on this build and trying to push my limits. Your advice means alot.

Dave... Thank you Sir. I may leave it but I have also thought about fixing just the one bolt on the end.... :lol:

Ok so take a look at the two bolts in the center of the hatch. I took the .5mm scale hardware threaded hex bolt and sanded and filed the head down to make it look more like a machined bold or rivet head. I will take pics of the res of the pieces so you can see exactly how I did this. I think you all will get a kick out of my poor mans lathe so to speak for this job....haha

DP-Army-Vega4497-1_zps0b5e746f.jpg

Here is the reference pic of the real car:

1974ArmyVega-X7_zpsc92e8a08.jpg

So here is another idea that I have been toying with for a while for the hatch. From the reference pics there seems to be a lip on the outer of the hatch and I was thinking of adding a .010" or .005" thick piece to add this to the hatch. What all do you think. I will show the ref. pics as well:

DP-Army-Vega4499-1_zps6d69a78e.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4500-1_zpsc0427b7f.jpg

Reference Pics:

1974ArmyVega-X4_zps87cfa257.jpg

1974ArmyVega-X3_zpsfcb94fc4.jpg

1974ArmyVega-X1_zps0d15bb62.jpg