'81 Plymouth reliant 4/7/13 Grill will have to be at a slant as is..

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

#21 realgone58

realgone58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Wickham

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Mike, that's coming out nice so far. You gave some depth to the engine compartment and made it look less toy like. Love the green, and it's right on. Did you have it mixed up or did you find it somewhere? Not to copy, but I'd be interested in doing one of these in green as well. My dad had a wagon version for a company car from 81-84. He hated it. It was WAY underpowered, and banged and rattled alot, but it never let him down. In '85 they replaced it with a new model with the 2.5 motor. That was alot smoother and had a little more pickup. In '89 they gave him a Taurus wagon V-6 and there was no comparison! 

#22 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Love the green, and it's right on. Did you have it mixed up or did you find it somewhere? Not to copy, but I'd be interested in doing one of these in green as well. My dad had a wagon version for a company car from 81-84.

The green paint is pretty official .. I got it from paintscratch.com. It's a 1981 color only. I got it in a spray can for the first time and was happy with the results. It's called  Light Seaspray Green Metallic  color code  VF2 (1981)

I usually get a bottle ans have to thin it down for the air brush, but since I hate airbrushing because of the hassle I did the spray .. first time I've seen them offer it.

#23 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Foxman, it looks like if you just set the grille more vertical between the headlights might be enough to do it. So wats a little filein an cuttin? You can do it bro!

#24 realgone58

realgone58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

The green paint is pretty official .. I got it from paintscratch.com. It's a 1981 color only. I got it in a spray can for the first time and was happy with the results. It's called  Light Seaspray Green Metallic  color code  VF2 (1981)

I usually get a bottle ans have to thin it down for the air brush, but since I hate airbrushing because of the hassle I did the spray .. first time I've seen them offer it.

Wow, 25 bucks a can!!!!! 

#25 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

Wow, 25 bucks a can!!!!! 

It was a bit expensive, but I wanted to try their spray as I've gotten paint for many of my builds of my 1:1 cars from them and was always pleased with the quality.. Just get a bottle of touch-up paint and stuff in your air brush. :)

Edited by Foxer, 14 April 2013 - 02:59 AM.

#26 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

Foxman, it looks like if you just set the grille more vertical between the headlights might be enough to do it. So wats a little filein an cuttin? You can do it bro!

That's what I'll do, George. There's room to adjust it some with a bit of grinding, prying and pulling. :lol:   I'll just do what I can without spiting the headlights.

#27 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

'At's the ol CAN DO attidute, Mike!  It's only plastic(or Die Cast in THIS case!)an it shouldn't be nuthin to mod. Like I said, YOU can do it,bro!!!!

#28 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Awesome job, i have one of these diecast, its the blue one. I have a 1986 reliant wagon  sitting in the field, i pulled motor out because blew up, and around here you cant find a 2.5

#29 Nxr

Nxr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Full Name:Eugene Zaets

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

the 79 town country lebaron by this brand is also very neat, cool project so far i also have the blue reliant 

#30 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've had that T/C Lebaron wagon for a while; been thinking about swapping the Diplomat fascia onto it and smoothing the sides to make a phantom law enforcement car out of it. Far as I know, there were no diplomat wagons made. Now I'm thinking that little reliant might make a good start on a mid eighties Lebaron convertible like mine (think 'planes,trains and automobiles' without the woodgrain)  :)

mike

#31 Nick W.

Nick W.

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas Wester Jr.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

When I think of planes trains and automobiles, I think of when john candy is singing to ray charles, and drumming on the dash!

#32 LongRoofNut

LongRoofNut

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Full Name:Jonny Carson

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

Where is everyone finding these and the Horizons? I have yet to see one on one here in the NW burbs of Chicago.

#33 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Where is everyone finding these and the Horizons? I have yet to see one on one here in the NW burbs of Chicago.

Take a look in the 'bay.  I see all of those and the Chrysler wagons there.

#34 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

That's where I found the one building in this thread --- ebay

This got stalled until my daughter decides to dig out her photos of the car .. :(

Edited by Foxer, 13 June 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#35 realgone58

realgone58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've had that T/C Lebaron wagon for a while; been thinking about swapping the Diplomat fascia onto it and smoothing the sides to make a phantom law enforcement car out of it. Far as I know, there were no diplomat wagons made. Now I'm thinking that little reliant might make a good start on a mid eighties Lebaron convertible like mine (think 'planes,trains and automobiles' without the woodgrain)  :)

mike

Yes, Diplomat wagons were available from '77 thru '81. Here's a pic of a 1980 model. 

80%2520dodge%2520diplomat%2520wag%2520wh

#36 LongRoofNut

LongRoofNut

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Full Name:Jonny Carson

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

LOL, I was afraid someone would say that.

I found my Town And Country wagon out of all the places, the small IL town I went to college at when I came for an alum meeting. Guess I will have to bite the bullet to add one of these '80s ecno cars I remember seeing all over as a kid.

#37 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Found my T&C wagon at WalMart of all places!!

Not seen any in a long time though. And never seen the Diplomat anywhere but that evil Bay place!!

#38 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Found my T&C wagon at WalMart of all places!!

Not seen any in a long time though. And never seen the Diplomat anywhere but that evil Bay place!!

It's interesting that these saw limited distribution and disappeared. There are a lot of diecast that seem to have one run to Walmart and it's over. There was a 1970 Ford van I have that I only saw there once. If I had known that I would have bought the shelf full!

It's cool that they decided to do the obscure 80s cars. I want both the Horizon and Omni 4 doors,  the T&C wagon and the Diplomat sedans. And of course the Reliants... someone said they also did a Reliant wagon but I've never seen even a picture of one.

I have kept my eye open at flea market and model shows, but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and place a sizable diecast order to one of those eBay store vendors.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 14 June 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#39 Nick W.

Nick W.

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas Wester Jr.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Diecast model wholesales website shows the horizon and the omni! Also they show the diplomat and the t and c wagon. Oh and we cant forget the reliant!

#40 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

It's interesting that these saw limited distribution and disappeared. There are a lot of diecast that seem to have one run to Walmart and it's over. There was a 1970 Ford van I have that I only saw there once. If I had known that I would have bought the shelf full!

It's cool that they decided to do the obscure 80s cars. I want both the Horizon and Omni 4 doors,  the T&C wagon and the Diplomat sedans. And of course the Reliants... someone said they also did a Reliant wagon but I've never seen even a picture of one.

I have kept my eye open at flea market and model shows, but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and place a sizable diecast order to one of those eBay store vendors.

Great observations Tom. Yes, sad but true , Wal- Worl had several very desirable and interesting die Cast models that were "Limited Runs . I was fortunate in that as soon as I could , I did get the Ford Van and a Dodge Diplomat . For some unknown reason, they sent a slew of Chevrolet vans and I think my close by store got two Fords. I wasn't real crazy about the "Graphics" of either the Ford or the Chevrolet . I wound up disassembling the Ford and painting it in a Factory Mustard Yellow color . OF COURSE , I ADDED one of my snack trays ! I never touched the Chevrolet . I have several of them waiting for me to transform them with examples of products I used to manufacture back in the day ...............