Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

da Speedinger

Members
  • Posts

    243
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by da Speedinger

  1. After 5 months of WIP my latest project is done. And again I wanted to create something unusual and unique which should give me a new challenge to solve. I found a rather cheap Tamiya Mini Cooper Monte Carlo Rally kit and started thinking of what could i make from it. I already knew that in the UK you can buy motorcycle engine conversion kits from Z-Cars for 1:1 Minis. The problem for me was to find a motorcycle engine in scale 1/24. As i found nothing i liked, i decided to use 3D print, a task a good friend of mine took over for me. We managed to get hold of some CAD data for a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine (model code K7) from a UK motorsports company. My buddy fine tuned the data and printed the engine. From then on the project was in full swing. A scratch building and kit bashing orgy started and a million of changes where made to create a unique rear wheel driven rear engine (road legal) mini track car. Here a few WIP photos: And finally the result:
  2. started with an tamiya RC30 kit, heavily used my parts box and scratch built all the rest. engine was cut into pieces to make slimmer (V4 --> V2) and cylinder angle was reduced from 90 to (almost) 52 degrees. also cylinders were made taller. frame was modified for engine mounting points. rims where cut apart to add different spokes. tank was sectioned to become slimmer. rear cowling was cut apart to make new rear and seat, which was then covered with a piece of leather. front fender is a modified GPZ rear fender. exhaust headers made from RC30, muffler and rear shock are scratch built. many other bits are also scratch built like handlebars, mirrors, clocks (7 different pieces), and so on, and so on. custom printed decals. only parts used as shown in the assembly guide: swingarm-axle and spark plug connectors. rear wheel nut was also not modified, but was used in the scratch built rear shock absorber. 3 1/2 months of work with roughly estimated 300+ hours overall.
  3. Why did you stop it? You're almost there. Interesting idea you had with sectioning the roof, completely changes the look!
  4. I attached the sunroof according to the assembly instructions, as you can see below.
  5. Well Mike, at least i tried to make it look like a 356. On the only WIP picture you can see, it was quite a lot to do to make the body look like a 356. And almost even more to make those wheels fit under it to achieve that stance.
  6. I had bought this Posche 911 Cabrio as a donator for engine, wheels and interior for another project (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/125644-vw-samba-custom-triple-cab-pickup/) The windscreen was messed up and the frame cracked. I had the engine and wheels from the Samba Bus, so i wanted to make something out of that. Without windscreen my only option seemed to make a speedster. 911 and the narrow bus wheels made no good combination, but i discovered that the bodies of 356 and 911 do not have big differences, just a bit wider and longer. decision was made: a 356 speedster it should to be. And after a bit of research i found a nice road legal vintage race car replica i wanted to make. It was great fun to backdate the body and scratch built missing items using my parts box. And i deppdished the Bus rims to make them look wider.
  7. Thank you very much for your kind words, Bernard. In fact, those two scratch builds are not that small. The tyres of the boxcart were taken from a 1/24 Gunze Fiat 500 kit and the wheels of the pushbike are from a 1/18 Maisto diecast motorcycle. The idea behind was simple: if you can build it from wood, you can also build it from styrene. The cars are 1/24 or 1/25, the bikes 1/12.
  8. Guys, here's what i finished this year in ascending order by month: January February March May August October currently working on
  9. thank you Jeremy! i am thinking of buying one on ebay just to have it again.
  10. thank you Jon. would be cool if you were right
×
×
  • Create New...