Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/48 Eduard Bf109G-6 Brassin Engine w/ Guns WIP-update 04-02

I've had this build planned for the last 8 months and have put it off due to getting involved in the automotive aspect of model building as of late. I'm building a 429 Boss engine for my 56 Ford F-100 and saw it only fitting that while I was in a motor building state of mind that I would build on this bad boy along side of it. To start with I purchased an Eduard Bf109 G Royal Class kit. This kit has taken one helluva bashing from a lot of "experts" as far as size dimensions and all that junk but is in fact a decent kit IMO. Maybe it was all of Eduards hype about the kit that set it up for failure...........I dunno. I bought one anyway and will attempt to make a decent build out of it.

Anyhow I will be starting off with the nose section which Eduard sells as its own kit. Upon opening the box I was amazed at the level of detail on the resin engine itself and that's not including all the parts that came with it. This will end up installed onto an airframe which will be the mount of Franz Stigler. There is an amazing story of honor and respect surrounding this guy and the B-17 crew that he encountered that is covered in the book, "A Higher Call". For those of you who have not read this book I urge you to read it. Aside from being a Luftwaffe nut , this story is nothing short of mindblowing. In short, he could not shoot the B-17 "Ye Olde Pub" down when he reached it despite the fact that if he scored the "kill" he would have gotten his Iron Cross award. He let it go and never told anybody about it until decades later. The story covers the background of Franz as well as Charlie Brown (the co-pilot of Ye Olde Pub) and a few of the crewmembers, the encounter, and Franz and Charlie's meeting around 1990.

A picture depicting the encounter:

higher_call_zps1215bda3.jpg

The Royal Class kit:

109BoxArt_zps75d094ed.jpg

Decal sheet for the build:

Frametogether_zpsadbe1434.jpg

and the brassin engine kit:

Pause for about 30-40 minutes....will post rest of pics at work......

Edited by mustang1989

Not a chance Jeremy. I barely have display room for single engine fighters right now. LOL. I do have a B-17 in the stash but it's gonna be a while until I build it.

Continuing on here. The engine / gun kit:

DSCN1510_zpslh4oicln.jpg

The parts bags and PE:

DSCN1511_zpsiyfsmsdj.jpg

The instructions are front and back (the pic is a little dark but you get the picture)

DSCN1512_zpsdbc578lt.jpg

The resin engine assy:

EduardDaimler-BenzDB605Engine001_zps9905

Regarding the Brassin stuff, though I don't currently own any, I've read really good stuff about a lot of it. I too have a Monogram B-17G, with all of the True Detail interior components for it. I'm intending to do it as a 50/50, so as to get more mileage from it.

At the rate I'm going I may not get the plane half of it done this year! lol . The automotive modeling bug bit me pretty hard after that Challenger build. I have a 109 Group Build going on elsewhere and since I'm the host of it , it would only be right if I finished something 109 related in it.icon_smile_whistling.gif

Those do lend themselves to display of detail. Have you seen the 1/32nd HK B-17? That thing is a MONSTER!

Oh yes, it's very nice, though not without a few accuracy issues. Next up from them (HK Models), is a 1:32 Lancaster. Insane.

At the rate I'm going I may not get the plane half of it done this year! lol . The automotive modeling bug bit me pretty hard after that Challenger build. I have a 109 Group Build going on elsewhere and since I'm the host of it , it would only be right if I finished something 109 related in it.icon_smile_whistling.gif

Where's the 109 GB taking place?

Kevin: That sounds interesting. Do tell more detail!

There will be a group build (possibly) starting in a few months on another site, of "what if" projects. My idea is to do a WWII Bf 109 in WWI Jasta 21 markings, as if the aircraft technology had changed, but the garish colors and schemes had not. Picture this Jasta 21 scheme (image snatched from the WWW), superimposed on the 109, and you get the picture.

The%20Scheme%20rs_zpssn0prowj.jpg

Well there for a while I was stuck at how I was going to handle the coolant reservoir retaining straps but ended up figuring it out. About a month ago I ordered an already started/ spare parts boxing of a 56 Ford F-100 for my WIP over in the truck section. Whoever the seller was he threw all kinds of stuff in that box that didn't pertain to any part of the F-100 build. One thing he threw in was a half cut up set of 1/16 light gray racing stripes which I promptly threw away right along with 1/2 of the junk (and it was junk!--stuff like a 1/12 or 1/16 cut up / half build exhaust from something, 1/12 scale wheels, etc). A couple of days later I had an idea flash through my head. What if I cut the decals the width of the straps and used those?? Well that's exactly what I did. My small trash can was sitting there right beside the bench so I went through it and found the decals. I cut 'em the width of the straps and after a couple of coats of Microsol I had a winning result.

I have painted up and installed a lot of the accessory drive items at the back of the engine and will start on the weathering process once I have a few more items on here. Right now here she sits and clean and purdy ( complete with my usual dust and plastic shavings that I can never seem to take care of before a photo shoot!)

FSCN1528_zpstsqnr576.jpg

FSCN1525_zps7ag7uvgs.jpg

Edited by mustang1989