Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boyd Coddington Has Passed Away

caddzilla was designed by zztop

he was a good man and its a loss to the customizing world

i liked junk yard dog

Cadzilla was designed for ZZTop by Larry Erickson, who was a designer for Cadillac at the time and freelanced the design of Cadzilla, and most recently he is known for designing the production '05 Mustang for Ford. Coddington built Cadzilla to Larry's design.

He came across a bit too cranky for me on his show . . . and he lost quite a few great builders in the shop because of it . . .

He certainly was instrumental in keeping customizing going . . . I am sure Chip Foose and Charlie (the painter) will have some nice things to say about him. . .

Have to be that fenderless red 34 Ford 3 window coupe he did many years ago, back when the billet look was all the rage. I may be in a minority here, but I far prefer the ultra clean look at his style to the now sadly absurd & cartoonish look of the rat rod movement that sprung up partially in reaction to it. The rat rods were ok at first, but even they have gotten as out of hand as the billet look did, resulting in undrivable "art cars", which is the complete opposite of what the rat rod movement started out as.

RIP Boyd.

:D

Vern Luce coupe. Truely a trendsetter

http://www.planetswift.com/diecast/hw/lege...rnlucecoupe.jpg

That is sad new. I never saw the finished product of what he was building that I liked. He had done the aluma coupe, then started on a truck of simular design. I liked what i saw of it, but never saw the finished build.Anyone have pics or reference link?

I'm pretty sure that they finished it on the show, they did the payoff at the salt flats. you can check his website for it, not sure if its there or not. http://boydcoddington.com/store/gallery.aspx

Edited by jones_clayton

i think creative people can be difficult in that their energies are differently distributed. maybe DaVinci was a real pill? we all have our quirks and who can say how well any of us could handle the pressures which come with great success?

i think the important thing, and sad thing, is that the automotive community lost a creative force.

I'm pretty sure that they finished it on the show, they did the payoff at the salt flats. you can check his website for it, not sure if its there or not. http://boydcoddington.com/store/gallery.aspx

They sure did. (the payoff at the salt flats) The ultimate insult to SCTA. "Save the Salt" was just a grimace in Big Boyd's rearview mirror. Any of you see that? Boyd drove the Motorhome 2 feet deep into the salt, then buried two tow trucks in the already threatened salt. Never looked back.

You guys should have met him. Captain Nice he was not.