Model Cars Magazine Forum

59" Impala Custom Project!!!!!!

cruz

I decided to start work on this 59' Impala Custom from Revell, I will be painting it Pearl White from the Tamiya line of paints and Testors' 50's Aqua for accents. It will be pretty much an out of box build but I am not too crazy about the decals so I am still undecided!!!

DSC03723.jpg

DSC03725.jpg

Started on the bodywork and found out that a lot of bondo and primer had to be used for the trunk area as it was full of indentations along the edges of the fins.

DSC03735.jpg

One of the things I noticed was how ugly and out of scale the antennas for the rear are. I cut them off, saving the base of course and drilling holes to accept needle pins for a sharper look!!

DSC03741.jpg

Started taking some chrome off the side trim because the car will have lots of BMF and I wanted everything to match!!!

DSC03751.jpg

Decided to use the BMF under the paint trick and I was pretty impressed with the results, just had to make sure I took my time doing this.....

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

DSC03762.jpg

I will be using some photo-etch leftover emblems I have in my PE parts box from previous Impalas I have ecompleted.

DSC03750.jpg

Like I said, I decided to use 50's aqua to see how the 2 colors will come together at the end, hope it works out B):rolleyes:

I wanted that kit for the cps, etc. Waited to long Model round up sold out, I guess. Have you had the kit long, I can't find one. I've seen your wrk., I have a feeling everything will look great.

The 59' has been re released. You can find it packaged in the lowrider series boxes at your finer LHS. I saw several on the shelf yesterday at my LHS.

I wanted that kit for the cps, etc. Waited to long Model round up sold out, I guess. Have you had the kit long, I can't find one. I've seen your wrk., I have a feeling everything will look great.
It's been with me for about 4 years, don't remember where I got it but it is a beautiful kit that I just had to put together. B);)

Hello the friend! One of my favorite cars and I know you will do it great justice B) !! The color combo is very cool for the era! This will be another great build from ya! Thanx for posting!!

peace

ajulia

Hello the friend! One of my favorite cars and I know you will do it great justice :o !! The color combo is very cool for the era! This will be another great build from ya! Thanx for posting!!

peace

ajulia

Thank you fellas, I finished painting it 2 days ago and will be doing some polishing tonight. Decided to finally use the Tamiya clear so I hope it buffs nicely. I will be posting some pictures soon, I have been kinda lazy these last couple of days around the workbench..... B):o

DSC04116.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

Well guys, decided to work on the Impala over the weekend. Did a lot of wet-sanding, polishing, waxing and BMFing'.

Did some other little details like opening the air cleaner snorkels, if thats what they call them :huh:

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

These photos show the results of a lot of rubbing, thought for a while a genie would grant all my wishes!!!! :P:P

DSC04153.jpg

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04166.jpg

These pictures show the progress on the side trim and their BMF being applied. Lots of BMF..... :):lol:

DSC04169.jpg

And more BMF :lol:

DSC04172.jpg

DSC04175.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

Like I said again, a lot of Bare Metal Foiling but in my humble opinion I think it is the best invention for our hobby.

With a lot of patience it really pays off. I will be working with the engine next and so on, hope you guys like it!!!!!

That foil job in incredible. Tha foil is neat stuff, but do you or anyone know when it to old to work with, if there is a " use by date". Your custom is kinda goin the way of one that's in R&C mag. I think this month. :DB)

When the adhesive dries up. I have a sheet that is a several years old and around the edges - maybe an inch in there is no stick no more.

I have heard of some of the adhesiveness deteriorating after time, I usually have a fresh sheet at hand so I couldn't tell you. I can tell you that there are other brands on the market out there but nothing as good as the Bare Metal Foil brand...... B):D

Very nice BMF work, Marcos, very nice indeed!!

I don't know about you, but I've never been able to get through adding BMF to a model and get it all right the first time. Maybe that's why I removed so much of the chrome trim from my '58! B)

Keep up the GREAT work and the posts! I really like the way this one is looking!

Thanks for sharing,

Very nice BMF work, Marcos, very nice indeed!!

I don't know about you, but I've never been able to get through adding BMF to a model and get it all right the first time. Maybe that's why I removed so much of the chrome trim from my '58! :o

Keep up the GREAT work and the posts! I really like the way this one is looking!

Thanks for sharing,

Hey brother, I will be the first to admit that it takes more than one time to get it right also, specially on this type of build. I am not to crazy about using this stuff but I haven't found a better way :o:o

Cruz, that '59 is fantastic!

Your BMF looks great from this end!..........there's no getting around it though, just about any '50's-early '60's car will have a goodly amount of chrome to BMF. :o

The '55 Ford I'm still working on will have me in the BMF mode before too long.............I just hope the sheet doesn't start cracking on me like the last one did when I did the '63 Turbine Car! :o

Your 59 is looking CRISP!

Lovely job on the BMF...the black wash really brings out the detail nicely.

I have the stock and the lowrider versions waiting to be built. I also noticed how much work needs to be done on the trunk lid. There are loads of sink-marks. You've done a fine job smoothing it out.

Nice colour combo as well

looking forward to the finished pics!