Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long for Dupli-Color to dry?

I put three color coats on, waited between coats, then three coats of clear, waited between coats, Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint. I put it on a little thicker than I should have (newbie mistake) but not too bad I think.How long do I give it before I begin rubbing it out?

I did a test yesterday, using all Duplicolor Exact Match products, to see if it would make a difference in the speed of curing. Exact Match Gray Primer, Exact Match Inferno Red, and finally Exact Match Clear. Today, I am really shocked to see how fast the product has dried, and while there is still a hint of odor, it feels fully cured to the touch. So, my problems with Duplicolor drying/curing (or in my case, NOT drying/curing as expected), may have come down to my choice of clear. The recommendation was made on this forum to use the clear that was manufactured to be used over the Exact Match paint line. I am very happy with the results and will be looking into using other colors from this product line.

Edited by fseva

I use a food dehydrator and can go from bare plastic in the morning to final ready to assemble that night.

If you use a heavy clear do ASAP after color or 3-4 days. I have seen clear 'spiderweb' when color is not 'gassed out'.

Good luck!

Duplicolor dries very fast when compared to something like Testors.

I started polishing my current project the day after the final clear coat. probably a little soon, but it worked fine.

Steve, are you talking about Testors enamels? I have to ask because their current 2 lines of lacquers are so fast, they make my head swim! :rolleyes:

Steve, are you talking about Testors enamels? I have to ask because their current 2 lines of lacquers are so fast, they make my head swim! :rolleyes:

No, I'm talking about the lacquers.

They do dry fast but I've had things crack and the like as much as a month after final coats.

That tells me it's taking longer to cure than most of us think.

Steve

No, I'm talking about the lacquers.

They do dry fast but I've had things crack and the like as much as a month after final coats.

That tells me it's taking longer to cure than most of us think.

Wow - that hasn't happened to me yet... and I hope it never does! B)