Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another straightline Bonneville car

This is my attempt at a belly tanker. I shared it in the wrong place earlier, so I have put it here now. It's a curbside (saltside?), I never finished it inside because we moved, but maybe someday.

modelpic16.1.jpg

modelpic16.jpg

Edited by oldcarfan

It's a homemade body, made one afternoon when I was long on ambition and short on money. I searched the internet for a profile of a P38 belly tank and printed it out to scale. I carved a body half out of Balsa, I didn't have any fiberglass cloth, so I stretched a piece of old T-shirt tightly over it. I had an old can of Bondo fiberglass resin that was still good. I made two halves and bonded them together. A little sanding, smoothing and painting and some scrap parts and I had a belly tank. I started a 1/10 scale version to see if I could make a radio control version and go really fast, but moving put that on hold. Maybe some day I'll get back to it!!

• 1 month later...

Nice beginning effort. Hopefully you'll get back to it, look forward to seeing it done. I have long been a huge fan of bellytankers. I have built only one so far, a 1/32nd scale effort. Of course, I had the tanks to work from by using a Revell P-38 kit in 1/32, the rest of the parts come from either Lindberg or Monogram kits.

I call her Lil' Blu.

graphic_org_pub[1].jpg

Nice beginning effort. Hopefully you'll get back to it, look forward to seeing it done. I have long been a huge fan of bellytankers. I have built only one so far, a 1/32nd scale effort. Of course, I had the tanks to work from by using a Revell P-38 kit in 1/32, the rest of the parts come from either Lindberg or Monogram kits.

I call her Lil' Blu.

graphic_org_pub[1].jpg

Looks really good!