Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Scale Jolly Rancher Stagecoach Wheelstander - Update 11/7/2015

Mooneyzs

John... Thanks brother!!! LOL I think you should be having wet dreams from something other than this build... lol 

Clayton... Thank you very much. The cage was a bit of a pain in the butt and it gave me a few hurdles where some of it took me more time to do or thought but I will admit that I am happy with it now.

Bob... Thank you. It was quite fun to do this chassis in brass and looking forward to the next build that I will do an all brass chassis for. Although I still have a few more things that I need to add for this chassis.

Joe... Thank you. It was definitely a new challenge for me to use brass for the whole chassis. it was fun but I know I would like to hone my soldering skills some more.

Brad... Thank you my friend. I gotta admit that chassis seems pretty strong. Although I haven't soldered the cage to the main frame yet. I need to drill some holds in the floor pan and into the cross brasses of the frame since I realized that I won't be able to have access to do so once the roll cage is in place.

Art... Thank you. I am happy with the progress.

Brent... Thank you very much. I am enjoying working with the Brass so far. I still enjoy working with styrene as well. I am trying to learn to not to use too much solder on joints so there is minimal clean up. Using some liquid flux has helped with that. Although holding the tubing and notching it with a file is a little bit of a pain in the butt at times and I would like to come up with a miniature tubing notcher to make that process a little easier...lol. The chassis seems pretty strong and it has been fun challenging myself by using the brass.

Danno... Why Thank you. I think I am a little hack with brass at the moment and am no metal master...lol I am learning a lot from this build and hopefully I can improve my skills in working with brass. As far as the funny car goes... I am thinking about jumping back on it tomorrow and getting some well deserved progress made on it.

Ray... Thank you very much. Oh man I couldn't agree more that its tricky getting all the pieces to clamp correct before soldering. I think I have spend more time getting it set up and then when I start to solder it moves on me, so I have put the solder iron done reset it up and try again. I know I have wasted many hours in set up time. I also learned the hard way where I was adding a piece and heating things up a little to much only to have had some shifted in a few other pieces that I had to go back and fix...:angry: :lol: 

Ok Fellas, so I have gotten some more work done on this chassis. I have started with getting some of the shackles for the front leaf springs fabricated as well as getting the steering shaft support and some more work to the floor pan.

Here is the beginning of the shackles. I had a little bit of a pain in the butt getting them aligned properly prior to soldering them in place:

JRSC0631-vi.jpg

Here is the other set:

JRSC0641-vi.jpg

Another view:

JRSC0651-vi.jpg

Here is the steering shaft support:

JRSC0661-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is the floor pan again. I went and drilled all of the holes for the mounting bolts and then went back and transfer drilled the holes into the frame. I wanted to get them drilled and mounted before I solder the roll cage in place since I would not be able to get the pin vise in to do the drilling.

JRSC0681-vi.jpg

Here is an up-close shot of the bolts. I decided to use button heads for these:

JRSC0671-vi.jpg

Here is the whole chassis together with the roll cage in place, still not soldered at this point:

JRSC0691-vi.jpg

Another view

JRSC0711-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs