Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Scale Jolly Rancher Stagecoach Wheelstander - Update 11/7/2015

Mooneyzs

Clayton... Thank you very much. Its one of the reason's I love this site so much is being able to learn from everyone here as well as share my work. I am already starting to dream up my next project... well that's probably a lie, I should of said next 2 or 3 lol.

Joe... Thanks buddy I appreciate the kind words. That's good that you will be getting back to the Nomad.

Tim... What can I say but thank you. I really appreciate the kind words from you. It is actually really fun working with Brass. Although my fingers are sore from holding the tubing and notching it with a file. I am already thinking about making some kind of tubing notcher and designing it up in Solidworks which will work for 1/16" OD tubing up to 3/16" and possibly bigger.

John... Thanks Brother. I do appreciate your kind word. Heck  your Alclad work will make mine like a 5 year old painted it. I think I am at a point where I may start hacking the body up and getting it Narrowed, Chopped, Shortened and even possibly Sectioned... Or not sure if I should start the leaf springs and I-Beam Front Axle.... lol. So stay tuned

Edited by Mooneyzs

Well just another quick update. I have started on Hacking up the body. Although I didn't get very far because I was questioning myself on how much I need to shorten the width by...lol So I am thinking I may chop and shorten the length prior to shortening the width. Here are a few shots to show my progress....

I started with my trusty razor saw to do the cutting. I need to trim the bottom off of the body:

JRSC072A1-vi.jpg

Here is a shot so you can see what parts were removed:

JRSC072B1-vi.jpg

Here is both sides cut and trimmed:

JRSC0791-vi.jpg

Here is a shot from the top. I need to removed the gap between the body and frame. Body needs to be narrowed:

JRSC0981-vi.jpg

Shot from the front:

JRSC1011-vi.jpg

From the rear:

JRSC01061-vi.jpg

And a Side view, of which the top needs to be chopped:

JRSC1081-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Yeah Buddy !!! Looks right.

However, the thought of you chopping it at the tape line scares the bejeebers outa' me. You'll have to redo the beltline trim. Unless it has to be done there for frame considerations. If you only want to knock down overall height, you might want to consider cutting just above the middle hinge.

Unless that was your plan all along and the tape is only there to hold the body together. In which case, I'll just go lay down by my dish. STAY ! Ahh Ahh Ahh. STAY !

Alright Fellas.... Its that time for another update on this bad boy. So over the weekend I finally got started on Chopping up the body to get the body work going. Although I still have some more work to finish up the body. So far the Body has been narrowed 3/8" and it has been chopped 1-1/16". I still need to shorten the body by 3/4" of an inch but this one may be a little more tricky.... going to take a 1/4" from the center and then 1/4" from each side. Anyway I will let the pics tell the story of what I have done. Hope you all enjoy....

Well here I started out by doing a quick drawing of a side view of the body to get an idea of how much I was going to have to chop and change things:

JRSC1171-vi.jpg

Here I have laid a piece of 1/4" fine line tape (the blue) Then added 1/16" fine line tape next to that then the Tamiya 6mm tape on the outside of that:

JRSC1181-vi.jpg

I removed the 1/16" and 1/4" tape and what you see between the Tamiya tape will be cut and removed to Narrow the width of the body:

JRSC1191-vi.jpg

Here is the first size cut up:

JRSC1221-vi.jpg

Here is the 2nd side cut up:

JRSC122B1-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

So I did the same thing for the sides of the body and the doors. I started with my 1" wide 3M blue tape and also added a 1/16th fine line tape next to it. then added the Tamiya 6mm wide tape next to that:

JRSC1231-vi.jpg

I removed the inner tape pieces to reveal what will be cut away:

JRSC1241-vi.jpg

Here area all of the pieces after doing my cutting with my razor saw:

JRSC1251-vi.jpg

And Now here it is somewhat together. At the moment it is just held together with the Tamiya tape and will be glued Together:

JRSC1281-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad... Thank you. I got really cut happy wait till you see the pile of parts I have cut off...lol

John... Thanks Brother... No way will I ever be as fast as you.

Dave... Thank you.

Clayton... Thank you very much.

Well Fellas I still have more to cut and I am trying to get myself motivated to work on it tonight but I am struggling at the moment.....

Bob... thank you. it was alot of hacking and iniwwd my rqzor saw for all of it.  Right now I am planning on working on this when I get home afyer work today.  I was going to take pics of the steps on how I will shorten the lenght of the body and share that with everyone.

Alright Fellas... I got some more bench time tonight and was doing some more hacking and shortening the body. So the over all body shape is complete but Now I need to work on the window area of both sides as well as opening up the window on the door. but I will say the hardest part is done on the body I think...lol. I will let the pics show the story.

So I had forgotten to take pics of marking the doors up to shorten them but here they are after they were shortened:

JRSC1301-vi.jpg

As you can tell here by the daylight between the gap of the door and body that the door spaces needs to be shortened:

JRSC1311-vi.jpg

I started out once again my marking the areas that I wanted to cut out:

JRSC1321-vi.jpg

On the first side I forgot to take pics when I hacked it up but as you can see here I have hacked the other side up in to the pieces you see here and the piece that is on the chassis has been glued together: using Weld On #3:

JRSC1331-vi.jpg

Here is the body after it has been shorted and both sides glued. I had taped it to see what it looks like together as well as to let it dry over night:

JRSC1351-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

In this shot you can somewhat see the joints where things were glued together:

JRSC1361-vi.jpg

Here is the opposite side:

JRSC1371-vi.jpg

Top View so you can see the curvature of the sides:

JRSC1391-vi.jpg

Here is a shot of the body next to the reference pic that I used to get all of my measurements and calculations from. It looks like it is close enough to the actual body. Now I just need to work the window details as well as a few other minor things I need to change up:

JRSC1401-vi.jpg

I had to add this picture because I wanted to show everyone how much was actually cut out from the original body...lol:

JRSC1411-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Now THAT is determination at it's most impressive Brother Chris. You've just given me the motivation I needed to get back on the Nomad. I've been putting off my body mods, but as soon as I square away the leaf springs, I'm all over that.

Thanks for the inspiration pal.