Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack dump truck

Well I bought a box of parts off of ebay a while ago, and in it was a Mack R model cab, hood, engine, and most of a chassis. So I have decided to turn it into more than a pile of parts. When I was growing up there was a dump truck company across the street from my house with some really tough looking R model Macks. So I figured I would build a replica of one of those. Here is what I started with:

Here is where I am now:

Hey KJ.  Check the width of the front axle before you get too far ahead.  Those Mack kits were notorious for the tires ending up way outside the line of the fenders on the cab.  Even tho' they are wide tires, they should still sort of fit underneath.  Nice job on what you have done so far!

Thanks, I have been watching out for that. From the pictures that I have seen, the tires stick way out on the real ones. I have the outsides of the tires on mine at 101" wide, so they will stick out way past the fenders, but will still be legal. Here is a picture of one that is very close to the trucks that I am modeling this after:

Here's a quick mock-up after the first coat of paint on the outside of cab and hood:

KJ,

I like what you've done thus far on this build ! And I agree with you about the wheels sticking out too far. In my almost 30  years in construction.I do not

ever recall seeing wide float front tires that did not protrude the fenders and even the added on fender flares.Though some are more pronounced than others!

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu