Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 GMC Pickup Engine Replacement

The engine in the kit looks to be a not-too-bad smallblock Chevy, oddly fitted with a vintage (and somewhat blobular) Rochester fuel-injection setup.

Just about any small- or big-block Chevy engine should be right at home in a pickup / plow application, and you have dozens to choose from. Pretty much ALL smallblock Chebbys (265-283-302-327-350-400) and all big-block Chebbys (396-427-454) look pretty much like each other externally, with the exception of the specific valve covers, intake setups, and exhaust manifolds.

A "camper special" should be happy with either a big-block or a 350 smallblock, single-carb engine. Headers would be a plus in the real world too...if you can find some that will fit neatly in the engine bay and clear the inner-fenders and frame.

Anyone have specific suggestions for a good 350 or 454 single-4bbl Chebby mill?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If Steven wants to stick with a 1/24 scale SBC (small block Chevy), the 1/24 Monogram/Revelll '37 Ford kits have a decent SBC. I think the Testors Smoothster, etc. also have a very similar SBC IIRC. For a 1/24 BBC, the choices are not great. The Monogram/Revell 1/24 engines aren't going to be a huge upgrade over the GMC kit's engine, but maybe the BBC from the '70 Chevelle SS454 kit?

Steven...if you have one the Monogram 70 Chevelle SS 454ci should work well in the truck just swap the trans on them that way you can keep in scale with your truck kit.  I use to own 2 70s Chevy Camper Special trucks...1 was a 350ci and the other a 454ci truck both had automatics.

I agree with that, though I would not use the transmission from the truck. A Camper Special would not have a 3 speed column shift transmission. A better option would be to get the TH400 from M.A.D.. The other option, and pretty easy to fudge with in scale, would be to use the transmission from the recently reissued AMT '72 Blazer, which has the correct SM465 4 speed. If you're going to keep it a 4x4, use the transfer case that comes with the kit, or if you want to be more prototypically accurate, modify that case into the much more common NP203 full time case. The Spicer 20 case from the Blazer kit would not be accurate, it isn't even accurate for the Blazer kit (the Spicer 20 case was 6 cylinder only).

I agree with that, though I would not use the transmission from the truck. A Camper Special would not have a 3 speed column shift transmission. A better option would be to get the TH400 from M.A.D.. The other option, and pretty easy to fudge with in scale, would be to use the transmission from the recently reissued AMT '72 Blazer, which has the correct SM465 4 speed. If you're going to keep it a 4x4, use the transfer case that comes with the kit, or if you want to be more prototypically accurate, modify that case into the much more common NP203 full time case. The Spicer 20 case from the Blazer kit would not be accurate, it isn't even accurate for the Blazer kit (the Spicer 20 case was 6 cylinder only).

Your right Bill...if it was a manual trans it would be the one like the AMT Chevy Blazer has in it...one of the ones I owned had a TH400 and the other had a TH350 trans in it.  The one we have right now is a 84 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 long bed it has a 700R4 trans due to its newer year.

My uncle had a '73 or '74 Camper special 4x4 with the 3+3 crew cab option. His was 350 with TH400. we had both a '76 Blazer and a '79 long bed Custom Deluxe, both 4x4s. The Blazer had the special order TH375, which was a special short tailshaft variant of the TH400 for use with the full time transfer case, the '79 had a TH350.

If you want a better detailed chevy engine, My choice would be getting it from the 66 Impala kit. Then just cut off the transmission on the engines, and glue the pickups  tranny to the 66 Impala's engine block. I did this to one of the snow plow GMC 's that I had built.