Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. 1955 H-63 Mack

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys!!!

I had been trying to locate a resin air drier like the one Clint Freeman used to make with no luck. I took a shot at scratch building one. Not totally happy with it, but it didn't turn out too bad.

IMG_0243_zpsucbkwiuj.jpg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Well I don't know what it's for or what it hooks up top, but I like it!  Hey Brian, I'll buy one too.  :D

What's the other black can just behind the shock?

luberefiner....secondary oil filter basically. And the air dryer removes moisture from the air system.

Well I don't know what it's for or what it hooks up top, but I like it!  Hey Brian, I'll buy one too.  :D

What's the other black can just behind the shock?

luberefiner....secondary oil filter basically. And the air dryer removes moisture from the air system.

Actually the second one is the power steering reservoir. It looks very similar to a Luberfiner, but there is a dipstick on the left of the top. Peterbilts like the one that you are building Michael often mounted a Luberfiner and a power steering reservoir on the same bracket on the side of the front of the cab and looked almost like there were two Luberfiners on the truck. I may mount this one higher than it is mounted now. It probably should be raised some.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

My eyes are gettin bad Brian, i didnt even see the dip stick lol!

Sam, the reservoir didn't look right where it was mounted. Now it looks more like a p/s reservoir. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that where I had mounted it would have caused all of the fluid to drain back out of the pump when it was parked. It is now mounted higher than the pump, and I think that it looks more like it is supposed to.

Looking awesome! And it's nice to see a Detroit in something OTHER than Driptroit green!

Thanks Tom. I wanted to do something a little different. I am however a big fan of Detroit green. When we were kids my daddy gave me and my brother each a spray can of the real stuff. You know, the cans sold by Detroit, that said: "Danger, contains lead". We both painted our metal GMC Astros with those cans. They became the ugliest GMC's that you could ever see. The good ol' days.

What gear am I in anyway???

I have made the shifters. The old H-Models didn't have a remote shift tower. The shifter came straight out of the transmission and angled up into the cab. That is the approach that I went with. I attempted to make shift handles like you used to find at the truck stops that were that transparent metallic green.

From the driver side: First shifter is the main, second is auxiliary, third is remote auxiliary.

Theses trucks didn't have a very good shift boot set up. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

Shifter shafts are about .65" diameter in scale, about the same diameter as the shifter in my pickup.