Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '54 Chevy Sedan Delivery-Now in "Under Glass" Section-09/16

mustang1989

The more I looked at this engine the more I thought to myself , "Man that's just way too much chrome!". I'm not an avid user of chrome on real life engines so I don't see myself over using it in automotive modeling. The effect with chrome I'm usually after is a subtle effect so I'll leave the rocker covers and velocity stacks chrome and strip the intake and common plenum and paint those an aluminum color. I'll be using carburetors from either another kit or AM. Which ones I don't know yet. As of right now the intake and plenum are in an Easy Off bath............

I hope to have progress pictures up in a day or so.

Ben: That's the one I thought you were working with.

Mark: This.........I've gotta see.:D

I saw not too long ago where somebody was doing a number on one of these in regards to correcting the firewall/ hood hinge area and correcting the headlamp fit and all that. I can't seem to find the thread but there was a lot of useful info in it.

Photo sent to your e-mail address...you can post it if you like.

I'll get you covered Mark.

I couldn't bring myself to buy a $120+ Franklin Mint '54 Chev to rob the headlight bezels from it so I bought this kit for $15 to rob the headlamp bezels and lenses from due to the Revell kit not having any bezels.

800582.jpg

I'll be Frenching the bezels into the body. The tail lights are the same story. Haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do those yet.

Edited by mustang1989

Ok folks. I didn't end up liking the chrome intake and plenum as it was just too much chrome and to me too much chrome just looks cheap. I stripped the chrome from the intake and plenum using Easy Off. You gotta soak this stuff for around 30-45 minutes but it works. Then I washed it in warm soapy water, dried and primed it in black. After that I shot a coat of aluminum on it and after that I applied a light coat of dark wash on it to add a little more convincing finish. Additionally the oil fill cap is supposed to go on the drivers side. Oops! Here's the results:

There............that's better.

Looking ahead as to what to use for the carburetors........ :hmm: .......

Well I can tell you for dang sure that I sure as Hell aint gonna use the OOB carbs that came with the 427. I don't know what these are but they are anything but a well represented carb.

I thought about using some Dominator carburetors that came with my Motorcraft Thunderbird but in real life it would be too much for a street engine.....

that leads me to my third option which is probably the best all around from the Revell 1970 Boss 429 kit. I haven't found an OOB Holley 4150 series carburetor that's been more well represented than these in terms of detail and accuracy. Only the AM stuff has them beat but I aint payin' $12 for two carburetors so we'll stick with the OOB offerings from Revell:

This is where I'm at so far on the bottom side. Oil filter was painted and installed yesterday and I just finished up installing the starter today. I've got the fuel pump painted up and the inlet and outlet holes already drilled in it for the fuel lines. And of course ....................the PE oil pan drain plug.

Joe! looking good so far, bud.. Really interested on where this one goes, since I had this same idea 2 weeks ago lol. The panel and nova are both sitting on the table awaiting me to get some of the others done. I'm sure this one will be as awesome as the rest.

Thanks Jeremy!

Ok......I've had a flurry of progress and ideas on this one as of the last few days. First off I moved forward on stripping the carburetors of chrome which I was going to do anyways as chrome on carburetors just don't look right.

Secondly I modified the Nova frame by shortening the frame in the back and shortening the leaf springs. Up front I cut the forward part of the frame completely off and cut out the center section. You can see the differences here........

After that I cut the front part of the '54 frame off and graphed that in. I still need a couple more bolt heads to complete this and while it's not true to realism on the bottom side, I took all the measurements and it appears that this is going to work out.

I cut into the forward part of the frame about 3/16" where the front crossmember and front suspension mounts up in order to lower the car in the front  3/16". I'm going to notch out the suspension mounting area to get yet another 1/8" lower This is how the car is going to sit with only the frame notch out. The rear of the rear suspension is exactly where it's supposed to be.

About this time the ideas started soaring around in my head after I studied the back of the vehicle interior some. I still need to notch out where the wheel tubs are going to fit on the floor here but I've got some decent plans for this. First off here is the rear floor...

Now I thought to myself, "What can I do back here to make this interesting?" :hmm: Soooo. I found a 1/24 scale flat screen TV on ebay

Well I've gotta have something to sit this on and somewhere to sit so how about using a coffee table and couch from a 1:24 scale dollhouse set? Again..found these on ebay. Hey ......what tha hell ya know?

Gotta have somewhere to store the cold ones too so I found a 1:24 scale cooler with an opening lid to put those in....

and speakin' of cold ones.......I found some 1:24 scale cases of those too! A case of these'll go on top of the cooler....probably Bud or Heineken

I took measurements and plotted everything out on the floor using cut up post it notes to see if everything was gonna fit.....

Looks like it's gonna make it. I may throw another Hot Rod Magazine and scratch build a remote for the TV to put on the edge of the coffee table/ TV stand. Looks like I might need to run an air line and an airbag to the L/H side of the rear suspension to even things out back there for the weight on one side factor. lol

I've actually given thought to that Carl and thanks. Right now I'm concentrating all my efforts towards getting the vehicle stance the way I want it without mauling the heck out of it. I've done a couple of things that are helping to lower the front end more. It's just too level of a stance as it is right now.icon_bored_zpscodtnzo5.gif

While I'm not going to get as crazy with the undersides as I did my F-100, I will still be doing little things like brake lines and fuel lines which I already have formed and painted up for the rear brakes. From what I can see I have a lot in front of me in regards to body clean up and prep as well as a few corrections to make here and there. Updates coming hopefully by this weekend folks. Thanks for all who are peeking in to check progress.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Jeremy!

Well I made a little extra progress on the chassis this morning. I got all the rear brake lines and fuel line formed and installed, got the differential and rear springs all painted up and glossed and started fitting the rear shocks. The chassis has been painted all aluminum with a gloss coat over it and the fuel cell and other two boxes in the back have been darkened slightly with a coat of Tamiya Smoke for a bit of contrast. Here's what I've got so far with that:

001_zpsrl8cys7j.jpg

002_zpsc42bz8eg.jpg

I finished up with the rear suspension this morning by painting the shocks , the rear mount points on the springs, painting the spring mount bolts at the axle and adding PE bolt & nut heads to either side of the leaf spring mount eyelets at the spring ends. Shocks and rear axle/ suspension are now part of the chassis. I also added PE bolt heads to the front subframe to main chassis for a bit more realism. I ended up using a spare drill bit for an axle so that everything would tie up nicely between the wheel/ axle fit.

Suspension progress with all shocks, plumbing and PE hardware installed:

Here's the ride height I was looking for in the original mock up with attention directed towards the rear wheel/ tire in relation to the wheel opening.

and here is where I'm at right now with the axle installed displaying assembled ride height as it is right now:

Man those "meats" just look purdy underneath there don't they?

Thanks a lot Carl and Dave!

Picked this one up yesterday for spare parts. Sheesh!!! I don't know how in the world Revell could market this kit under that theme and expect it to sell. e5037825.gif Jeez!!! face%20in%20palm_zpsmit8xdak.gif In any case a lot of the parts are cleaned up on these re-release kits I have found and I'll be cutting the rear door from the body to display it open.

REVELL-53-CHEVY-PANEL-DELIVERY-TRUCK-1-2

Thanks a lot Carl and Dave!

Picked this one up yesterday for spare parts. Sheesh!!! I don't know how in the world Revell could market this kit under that theme and expect it to sell. e5037825.gif Jeez!!! face%20in%20palm_zpsmit8xdak.gif In any case a lot of the parts are cleaned up on these re-release kits I have found and I'll be cutting the rear door from the body to display it open.

REVELL-53-CHEVY-PANEL-DELIVERY-TRUCK-1-2

I agree Joe, very cool panel truck but terrible theme....

LOL. I've always liked the look of this car and that's probably the main reason right there Greg. I had this kit as a kid 34 years ago and made a mess of it. While I'm not going to the great measures that you are with yours, I hope to make this one a helluva lot better than back then. lol. 'Course.............I built the gasser version back then too. sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw.gif

Thanks Richard!!

Over the course of the last few days I've been working on wheels and tires and the stance I want out of this thing. First off I got the wheels to fit better in the tires and then scuffed the road surface part of the tire up using a 1/2" socket on a drill. I'll wait on the finishing touches to the sidewalls till later on in the build. Still handling the tires too much right now.

Then I went to work on manufacturing a set of springs for the front. The OOB ones were atrocious !!!

Then I did some more work in the front in regards to wheel to spindle mounting and dropping the front end where I wanted it.

Everything is mounted up as it will be with the finished product and now the stance is dead on with the exact look I was after.

and finally the rear view.

Now I get to move on to construction.......finally!!!

Edited by mustang1989