Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebbro Citroen H Van

GeeBee

Wow, really?? Are they trying to compete head-to-head with Heller? I think it is really cool that we now have a HY but why do two different companies make a kit of the same type of car at the same time? Still, wil be interesting to see how it is :)

Different target markets. Heller is firmly aimed Europe. I'm not even sure they have a U.S. Distributor, Stevens Int'l carried the reissued Jaguars, but never restocked them or carried the new tool kits as of yet. 

Ebbro is aimed at an Asian market with global distribution.  Also if that first test shot shows a one piece cab, that will be a completely different construction from the multi-piece everything of Heller.

Edited by niteowl7710

Different target markets. Heller is firmly aimed Europe. I'm not even sure they have a U.S. Distributor, Stevens Int'l carried the reissued Jaguars, but never restocked them or carried the new tool kits as of yet. 

Ebbro is aimed at an Asian market with global distribution.  Also if that first test shot shows a one piece can, that will be a completely different construction from the multi-piece everything of Heller.

Even here in the U.K I had great trouble finding a hobby shop stocking Heller kits, luckily now I can order them direct with Heller in France, Ebbro kits on the other hand can be found in most hobby shops over here

Yes, I realise that. But I find it strange that we all of a sudden have two (3 in fact) kits of the Renault 4 and are now going to get a second kit of the HY aswell and the arrive at almost the same time. It is really great but kind of strange still. I sure hope they keep it up and give us more french cars:)

Is it possible that this is based on the Heller kit? Either a straight reboxing or modified tooling? Ebbro has been doing similar collaborative projects with Heller and Tamiya so it makes more sense than them doing a completely independent kit of a somewhat oddball (although to me very cool) subject so close behind Heller.

Edited by Aaronw

Ebbro has been doing similar collaborative projects with Heller 

What kits have Ebbro and Heller collaborated in producing ? I know about the tie up with Tamiya for there Citroen 2CV Fourgonnette kit, which wasn't surprising, as the guy running Ebbro used to work for Tamiya

Edited by GeeBee

Ebbro only worked with Tamiya on the 2CV Fourgonnette and the first F-1 cars.  Beyond that they've been doing their own tooling.  The 2CV "Slough" Pickup SHOULD have shared all it's dirty parts & interior with the Fourgonnette - which were sourced from Tamiya's 2CV, but it is in fact an entirely NEW tooling that shares only the cab and a few other parts with the Fourgonnette and they made all their own suspension, interior, and infamously made the kit a curbside.

I'm wondering if there's going to be an engine in this HY van...there's obviously the indent for it in the interior, but that's neither here nor there as it's a feature of the interior appearance. 

• 9 months later...

HLJ is showing as in stock

http://hlj.com/product/EBR25007

Thanks for another source, and I guess HLJ was just out the times I was looking. More than just the van, I've been watching for all of the French vehicles. I was worried that maybe they were just a small run, sold out and that's it. I did finally get my hands on the Tamiya / Ebbro Citroen Fourgonete van recently.