Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROUND2/AMT 1969 GTX QUESTION......

....wondering if  I may ask...the most recent 69 GTX  issue, blue stock build on box,,,,,i seem to have read or heard that it comes with an incorrect 68 hood from the 68 road runner,,,and not the correct 69 air grabber hood as in previous issues way back....anyone fill me in on this, so I can buy an issue with the correct hood...thanks boys, in advance....the Ace...........:mellow:

Hello Ace. I have read that all of the 69 GTX  have the proper hood EXCEPT the original release Which has the 68 hood. In the On The Bench Forum someone who goes by Roadrunner has a build their of a 69 gtx and has a lot of exellent information. Also want to say that I got this information from Tubbs who posted this about the hoods on that post of roadrunners 69 gtx build.  Thank you.        Jeff 

I have a couple of the issues with the red car on the box and it has the 68 hood in it .

FYI, an air grabber was an option on ALL 1969 GTX's and Road Runners  , but Standard on Hemi cars

The hood itself was the same, they just addred screens to the top opening / vents and then added the fiberglass air grabber box / duct work to the bottom side .

I had read elsewhere on this forum that early 69 cars had the 68 style hood,,,this info is incorrect

shown , is a 1969 hood. Air grabber cars have a red screen material in top of the vents

ag-hood.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

This is a non air grabber equipped car. They have a semi gloss black ribbed metal insert instead of the reddish/orange screens on AG equipped cars.

As an aside, the dual black stripes were an option and has nothing to do with AG equipped or not .

Ps, the air grabber was not even an avail option in 1968, regardless of how it was equipped.

non-ag-hood.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Hello Ace. I have read that all of the 69 GTX  have the proper hood EXCEPT the original release Which has the 68 hood. In the On The Bench Forum someone who goes by Roadrunner has a build their of a 69 gtx and has a lot of exellent information. Also want to say that I got this information from Tubbs who posted this about the hoods on that post of roadrunners 69 gtx build.  Thank you.        Jeff 

Yep, my version of the kit (red on cover), has an incorrect hood, saying 440, when there's a Hemi script molded onto trunk. This hood is reputed to be from a '68 Road Runner kit.

yeah, I know what goes with what, I have owned real 'runners back in the day, 3 of them over the years....but does the blue newest issue have the correct hood......the ACE

Yes, it has the correct hood.

I think the only examples with the wrong hood are in the Ertl box with the red box art car.  I seem to recall Ertl catching the mistake very early, and I know for sure Round2 knew to watch for the error.    

I need to look it up again, but believe the 68 DID offer the Grabber hood too

But the Screens were SIDEWAYS, aka ON the Sides of the bulges, not Top!

I have 2 69 GTX Convert, and 1 Hardtop and all have the Correct 69 Hood.

the 68's I have also have their Correct hood.

I need to check , but since they are Original's believe they have HEMI 

on what would be the Screen area of the bulge

I believe the First GTX Hardtop, the Pro-Street had the Custom 440

I know the Convertible came only with the Hemi!!!
I need to also check the STOCK hardtop to see if it had both engines

I Passed on the Pre-Painted 68 as it has the 69 black STRIPES on the hood

vs the correct rounded corners Rectangle

I need to look it up again, but believe the 68 DID offer the Grabber hood too

But the Screens were SIDEWAYS, aka ON the Sides of the bulges, not Top!

Sorry but you better ck your source. No air grabber hood avail on anything Mopar in 1968 .

Unless you count the 1968 Hemi Dart and Barracudas which is a forced air fiberglass hood and scoop

Do they also have the correct GTX grill and rear bumper with the back up lights. I had stocked up on a few of these kits and got the 68 hood with 440 emblems. Ironically the 68 Roadrunner hood says Hemi. My convertible kit had the 68 Roadrunner grill and rear bumper without the back up lamps. The back up lamps were in the tail lights for 68 and in the bumper for 69.