Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you ever encountered this before ?

Had this happen to me years ago when I put my motorcycle battery on a trickle charger in my model room near some of my builds. POOF! Chrome-b-gone.

Tom - that is the most tragic model related story ever. :(

You are probably dead on with that, the model is listed at a place that sells lots of lawnmower parts. Maybe it was on display in the shop.  The location is in one of the driest state I have ever been in.  (Kansas)  The bright side is there is not much chrome to have to strip.

Upper side surface chrome still sorta intact in various spots. Corrosive fumes wafting upward from below, not affecting decals?

Seen a charger on a battery at a garage once where it didn't shut off and was in the process of boiling out all the water until I pulled the plug.

Acidity in your hands, had alot of toys do this when i was a kid. I also play guitar and i can rust a set of strings after a 30 minute session while everyone else can use a set for weeks...

This is why Rory Gallagers strat had no paint left on it. Im not that lucky, I had to beat mine up the old fashioned way. 

I have had the chrome on some of my real old built models  do that.  But I doubt the chrome is changing colors. That binder I believe was molded in red at one time. I also lived in Florida a very humid place. and had no A/C.

I don't no what the actual shinney surface is but the base coat is like shellac.

Be Well

Gator

The chrome was already really thin in that 4070A kit! Every one I built had areas missing chrome and it would darn near rub off with you hands. Those trucks really didn't have a lot of chrome, most was polished aluminum. This is the perfect opportunity to clean up all the mold lines and sprue attachment points and then paint the parts with Alclad chrome. The parts will have a much more realistic appearance.

Edited by Ben

I have had the chrome on some of my real old built models  do that.  But I doubt the chrome is changing colors. That binder I believe was molded in red at one time. I also lived in Florida a very humid place. and had no A/C.

I don't no what the actual shinney surface is but the base coat is like shellac.

Be Well

Gator

Yes, the 4070A (The very first ERTL truck kit) was molded in red, black, chrome and clear with hard vinyl tires. The chrome parts were all plated over red parts.

I have a built-up which I bought more than ten years ago from a German ebayer. It will be rebuilt some day but the chrome parts (molded in red) show much red and little chrome, especially the exhaust pipes.

But it will be turned into a fleet workhorse anyway, so there is no need for much chrome!

I had that same kit as a kid and once it was all covered in dust I thought I would use a bathroom spray foam to help wash it clean and after the foam dissolved it looked just like your picture.  I can't remember the brand of spray foam cleaner but its probably taken off the market now for being too hazardous LOL

I was going to bid on that truck, but then put it off until it was too late I think I was trying to see if I could find some of the chrome items specific for this kit and that's why I waited to bid. Everything I would strip on that kit was already stripped or at least almost there. It would've made cleaning it a quick process. I wish Ertl didn't chrome such items as spoke wheels or 5th wheels. The stacks can be redone with the right "aluminum" spray and the air cleaner pipe I would paint any way.

Edited by SpreadAxle