Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Ozzie band?

Harry P.

AC/DC I think would be my top favorite. 

There's another band that's a lot younger that was inspired by AC/DC, and they're also from Australia. They're called Airbourne. They're quite good. Like AC/DC but a little more in your face and harder. 

Then, there's the psychobilly band Zombie Ghost Train, who only has 3 albums, but I really enjoy. 

Here's a sample

Back in the early '80s I came across an Australian band who had impressed Angus Young enough that he took an active role in getting them established.  For what I'm guessing are legal/copyright reasons, they recorded under the name The Angels (not to be confused with Angel) as well as Angel City.  

Edited by Monty

• 3 weeks later...

Australian bands fill many spots on my stuck on a desert island CD player.

Gotye is one I haven't seen listed. He is an Australian based, Belgian born musician so could fall here or in the favorite European bands thread. He identifies as Australian so I'll put him here.

I get a strong Peter Gabriel vibe from him, both in sound and his neat but really weird videos.

Gotye sometimes collaborator is a New Zealander (assuming we extend the theme to ANZACs, as I'm not sure NZ could support a thread of its own) who is starting to get some recognition of her own.

Kimbra has a unique style, a little big band era, a little pop, and a lot of whimsy.

With Gotye (Somebody I Used to know probably being the song they are both best known for)

and alone

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't heard this song in a while but, driving home from work the other day it came on the radio. And I remembered  how cool it was...the way they used the bagpipes!!

The only other time I heard that was also an Aussie Band AC/DC on "Long Way To The Top"

Edited by madhorseman

This is a tough one Harry....seen Midnight Oil quite a few years back at an outdoor concert with Hot house Flowers, World Party and The Tragically Hip (who sound JUST like their CD's live!!). Couple years back I seen INXS here in Kamloops, J.D Fortune did an awesome job (IMHO)...turn out wasn't as good as it could have been, but have been a huge fan since Kick debuted. AC/DC....man...they are on the bucket list, chances are pretty slim now with Brian out, not sure about Axle...the jury is still out on him taking over, hearing mixed reviews...some good...some bad??!!  

Edited by dieseldog1970