Model Cars Magazine Forum

vw beetle build beelzebug.

buggin' out

Back at it again, with a vw beetle now, this is going to be a replica of my real one that i too am currently working on, which you can see here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636548&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here it is, and all the work i have done on it so far:

WP_20160421_21_19_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.88ce0WP_20160421_21_19_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.4181dWP_20160421_21_19_36_Pro.thumb.jpg.ea82aWP_20160421_21_20_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.8acfdWP_20160421_21_21_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.6c733WP_20160421_21_21_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.2c032

The filler is for bumper holes, indicator holes and some vent on the front of the car holes, i havent finished sanding down the front yet, or the back actually. I really need to paint the exhaust again, i am terrible with a brush, i stole the exhaust from a secret project im doing and just bent it to fit like my real one. I cut the rear seats out and will be filling in the hole at some point because i too dont have rear seats.

Thing is, i have a few issues with this kit, the first one is that my dash is right hand drive, and its had new guages put in and been smoothed out by the P.O and im not sure how to replicate it, i am in the process of sanding the dash down and then filling in the indents on it, so i can make the car right hand drive, but im not sure how to make new dials and guages...

Edited by buggin' out

Build looks good so far. Just went through the build thread of your 1:1, that's a very nice Beetle you have and you seem to be doing it justice. Keep it up in both scales.

Yeah, I did the same. Your 1:1 Bug is real nice!  I had a Beetle I used to

borrow often from a girlfriend years ago.

I just loved driving that car, and it did real good in the snow around here!

Also I noticed that Redbull can on your coil, "Redbull gives you spark" as

the Tele ad goes!

I will be watching your kit build, looks good so far!

David S.

Thanks guys, its the tamiya kit but i made the exhaust myself. 

thanks for the kind words about my 1:1 car too, im hoping to get it on the road soon. Haha, yeah david, the red bull can is pretty funny, the car came that way, but i kinda like it, there is a red bull shot wrapper in the fuel filter too.

Wow bruce, thats a really cool GIF , i might have to save that. 

Thanks man.

so, i got a choice for you guys, i got a new kit today, the chevy stepside from revell, i will probably put it on here, not sure, but i got it mainly for the wheels, i like the car too, but i really like the wheels and im thinking of trying to modify the wheels to fit the bug, i dont like the stock beetle wheels and the 5 spoke that you will see below that i got with the chevy are very similar to the wheels i wanted to get for my real bug, or i  can wait until july and get the (i think its called) vw street machine set, which has wheels that look the same as the wheels on my 1:1 car. 

WP_20160422_13_27_39_Pro.thumb.jpg.f4e15

these are the 5 spokes from the chevy, i could put these on the bug, and leave them on, or i could wait ages and get the street machine wheels: 

PC040086.thumb.jpg.86ca11d4d38fa576c2af1

This is cool ...  1:1and 1:24 going together.

The dash looks easy to make RHD, especially with the smoothing it's had. Sanding down the dash is a good start, even add a smooth plastic sheet cover if needed. The gages and such can easily be added  to that. The steering wheels and petals will move over easily.