Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Kenworth custom

First I want to thank Kenny B and his 1/16 Scale Peterbilt 359 build for giving me the inspiration for my build.  This is my first build in a year and a half and the first semi build ever, this one will take me some time.

First thing was to slice and dice the frame.  I was lucky that a friend had bought the same model just for the body so I was able to get the additional frame and wheels.

Edited by Tony G

Tony, Thanks for following my build. What are your plans for the KW? Which kit do you have?

The first thing I see is how are you going to get the frame cross members in with the Aluminum in the way?

If you have any questions I would be glad to help. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Kenny, I will have to custom make the cross members to fit, the kit is the Kenworth W-900 Aerodyne Conventional.  The plan for the build is of course stretched with a huge sleeper, with some custom body work.  Custom built tanks and pipes.  Color I picked is House of color Brandywine kandy with copper accents (rims, tanks, pipes ect..).

Thanks Clayton, should be a fun build.

Thanks Rob, well I just got done rebuilding my house after a fire we had last year and I have a nice big room waiting for me to finish it and it will be my model room but that is a winter project. 

Thanks for following the build guys.

Needed some bigger fuel tanks, so I had some 1 1/4 pvc so cut a few 6" pieces and added some styrene to the ends.  Will work on some straps tomorrow.

Edited by Tony G

OK, do I read then you're wanting to use the color, but not a fan of the brand? 

I'm nuts about H of K, so easy to use and the shine is so easy to achieve, plus the color possibilities are just incredible.

I'll check in with your progress.

That is going to look really nice, one thought however is that the ink on the PVC from that company can be real bad for bleed thru even after a wash with acetone, best luck I've had with it is to clean it with clear primer and QUICKLY followed with acetone. Just a thought. Keep up the good work?.

Rich

OK, do I read then you're wanting to use the color, but not a fan of the brand? 

I'm nuts about H of K, so easy to use and the shine is so easy to achieve, plus the color possibilities are just incredible.

I'll check in with your progress.

Sorry about that I was replying from my phone, no I am a big fan of H of K paints and another color that is great is the urethane cobalt blue outstanding color.

That is going to look really nice, one thought however is that the ink on the PVC from that company can be real bad for bleed thru even after a wash with acetone, best luck I've had with it is to clean it with clear primer and QUICKLY followed with acetone. Just a thought. Keep up the good work?.

Rich

Rich you are so correct on the ink, cleaned it several times with acetone.