Model Cars Magazine Forum

Automotive (and other) toys from our childhood

This I'm not sure I understand. Sears normally sold pretty good stuff. Most under their own house brand names. And the toys shown from their Christmas catalog? I don't see how they would be used in a plumbingless lake cabin, directly?

ok ... in the "plumbingless lake cabin" the Sears Christmas "Wishbook = tp%20roll_zpscqyf4gbz.jpg

Edited by Foxer

ok ... in the "plumbingless lake cabin" the Sears Christmas "Wishbook =

Right, I recall two of my Aunts that had an outhouse "down by the creek". It was very strange tromping out there at night, for a young boy that was used to indoor plumbing.

I got a little portable reel-to-reel recorder in about 1966

Xmas2.thumb.jpg.d5ad318b682efe99fd689984

The first thing I recorded was the sound of the toilet flushing

Later I used it to record my experiments with my Gilbert chemistry set

I got a little portable reel-to-reel recorder in about 1966

The first thing I recorded was the sound of the toilet flushing.

Your mother must have been so proud. (And why didn't I think of that?)

Re the candy cigarettes: Nobody's mentioned that if you blew them like a whistle, they'd expel a little puff of powdered sugar that looked like smoke.

Your mother must have been so proud. (And why didn't I think of that?)

Re the candy cigarettes: Nobody's mentioned that if you blew them like a whistle, they'd expel a little puff of powdered sugar that looked like smoke.

That's all they were good for. They tasted like Rolaids.

A couple shots from my 4th birthday. The Eldon pickup is long gone, but I still have the Matchbox car carrier (and the two Danish Modern chairs). Perfect image of suburban 1964; freshly-permed mothers with cigarettes, bi-level carpeting, and a big picture window with somebody's '60 Olds wagon out front.

27243367166_f3e5b5eaf2_c.jpg

27243367766_a02eaff577_c.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Remember loads?

Cigarette_Loads_medium.jpg?v=1457837713

You stuck them in the ends of cigarettes and they'd explode. After a school trip to Rye Playland, and the requisite stop at the novelty store, I decided to play a joke on my mom. I boobytrapped an entire pack of her Pall Malls and mixed a couple of packs of foaming sugar

2Q==

in the sugar bowl. Her girlfriend stopped by that day and my mom offered her a smoke. She lit it up, took a drag and BOOM! My mom apologized and said she didn't know what could have caused the explosion. She and her friend both lit up new cigarettes with the same result. My mom went through half the pack. Then, she brought in the coffee. She watched the coffee in her cup start foaming after she put some "sugar" in it. Needless to say, it wasn't a pretty site when I walked into the living room. :D 

And when she found out you did it... to quote Mark Twain: "Let us close the curtain of charity on the rest of the scene." :lol:

I never realized how fast my mom was. She bolted off the sofa and grabbed me by my neck before I even had a chance to react. :D 

I don't remember being able to blow through candy cigarettes. The ones we had were smaller than real cigarettes, solid, white in color, with a red tip to look like it was lit. 

Edited by unclescott58

I don't remember being able to blow threw candy cigarettes. The ones we had were smaller than real cigarettes, solid, white in color, with a red tip to look like it was lit. 

I remember them just as you do. I think some of them had a thin hole through the center, but I don't recall ever blowing a puff of smoke through them. Don't think I even tried that.

I remember them just as you do. I think some of them had a thin hole through the center, but I don't recall ever blowing a puff of smoke through them. Don't think I even tried that.

Some candy cigarettes had powdered sugar inside the paper wrapper which looked like smoke when you blew on them.

956f4460d526d69929b313133b44038b.jpg

The nuns at school would blow a gasket if they caught us with them. :D