Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Dodge Adventurer Crew Cab

Well, different than just another 4x4 - CCarroll

A local guy has a mid/late 70s Dodge crew cab short bed 3/4 ton 2wd truck he is restoring....there rare trucks one just does not see them that often.  Most were ether built for Forestry service...Rail road use...etc.  The one we had when I was a kid was a 75..?  Crew 2wd long bed 3/4 ton one with a camper top on it.  I love odd stuff.

This is the first coat of primer . Most of this will be sanded off to get the body perfect . The tailgate has been stripped of most of the old paint just the small amount in the corners then this will get primed also.

Next I will be filling the body the roof mainly . Their is still a lot for work to do to get the door frame correct on the rear doors . But we are making progress

Feel free to comment

Thanks

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6239.JPG

This is going to be nice. I like it being a 2wd myself, it's just different. I did a 1 ton duallie extended cab years ago, it was my first time stretching everything but didn't come out to bad. Get ready for lots of sanding & good luck, I can't wait to see it done.

Captured 2006-10-7 00000_zpsl6flmjkl.jpg

Thanks guys Mark That is a nice Dualie  I would also like to say I love the camper in the rear too . I have been looking for the camper kit forever and I have never had the chance to get one . I may try to scratch build one for this build :rolleyes:

The body is still being sanded  Tail gate will get primed next then I can drill for the hinge pins

nice work on the cab so far Charger

dont know if your into it, but Chief Joseph has some really nice door handles, and there very reasonable price. i've made quite a few crews and i find it's a lot easier doing the bodywork without them in the way :D

they just look better too!

fmr-048_part.jpg

Dan thay are nice and yes it would be a lot easier without the bumps on the cab .  

Thanks Dave, I built a tow hitch with a removable receiver so I could mount the frame for the bike, a ball or a step to get in the camper.

Mark that's cool . I was looking at the rear bumper today . Cant decide if to have the rounded one or the square step . I thought about mounting the rear bumper on brass rods so if I get around to making a camper I can swap later .

The body work is well under way now. .The tail gate has hinge pins and is primed. I still don't have a clear picture of what this will be. I just want to get the body work ready then I will see what colour I want it to be so I'm open to ideas :)

Dave....it just depends on what type of build your going for with it...me I am a factory stock kind of guy mostly myself...ether way it will look great...!

Unlike the modern trucks of today, crew cab trucks from the 70's & 80's were considered work trucks and heavily used by governments and utility fleets. Many were 4wd, some were 2wd, but back then they were all at least a 3/4 heavy duty chassis. This being your build, it would and could be possible that some creative type builder went the lowered half ton route as well.

Will be interesting to see this one when it's done, you are off to a nice start!

Hi Dave!

I agree with Mike's comment regarding the trucks as they came originally. D200 series, 3/4 ton,probably a Dana rear axle. A 440 was available in '74-'78 :).

However, a Hemi-powered shop/crew truck would certainly be cool and unique!

Having messed around with the Red Express kit, I have some advice. Explore your oil pan options before choosing one. I had trouble doing an engine swap due to the oil pan. The pan hit the front crossmember and made the engine sit wrong. I'd say some trial-and-error is in order.