Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2017: 1987 Freightliner FLC

• 1 year later...

Am I to late for TAT 2017? I can't believe it has been a year and a half since I posted on this. I found my thread 9 pages back. The plus side I did see some nice models in those 9 other pages. But I digress, I have been working on this again finally. I have messed with it off and on trying to figure out what I want to do with the engine. I have kept running into roadblocks on that. But I have decided that I am going to use the Cummins out of the Revell K100. I had tried to rebuild the Italeri engine a few times but it just was to much work and had to many compromises in shape for my tastes. But this update is not about the engine, that will be down the road, as I must get the frame and suspension road ready to figure out engine mounts and exhaust work.

So I have been working on the fifth wheel and the slide plate. A good truck needs a good fifth wheel. I had a buddy give me an AMT one out of his spares box. So I now need to make it fit.

IMG-8364.jpg

I just hate seeing US truck with European style fifth wheels on them. I wasn't sure how I was going to mount it a first as it didn't fit the Italeri mount posts at all. So i came up with a plan that involved a lot of sanding and filing.I filed the two posts down that the kit fifth wheel sits on using a round file to get the shape of 1/8" evergreen tubing.

IMG-8369.jpg

Then I filed and shaped the inside of the fifth wheel to fit the evergreen tubing and made sure the outside lip would fit over the original location for the kit posts. The plastic on the AMT fifth wheel is quite thick on the mounting area so a lot of sanding was required, checking fit as I went along. Don't think I didn't consider making all the underneath parts of the fifth wheel too. But I came to my senses and made just some rudimentary things to make it look better.

IMG-8368.jpg

Test fit the fifth wheel on the plate. This photo shows that the molded on airline and spring have been removed from the slider plate. I thought about just making a whole new fifth wheel plate but I didn't want to make all the dog that that the locks fit into, that and i didn't have another Italeri one to cut up to avoid that. I have also replaced the unlocking air cylinder with a evergreen styrene one as I didn't like the shape. Although it was sort of correct so is this one.

IMG-8372.jpg

To make the spring to hold tension on the air line I wrapped #38 gauge magnet wire tightly around a .20 metal rod. Made it longer than I thought I needed then I would cut off the length I didn't need.

IMG-8388.jpg

Then I added the air line and the brackets to hold both the spring and the line to the fifth wheel. The brackets are made from lead foil cut and shaped around .15 metal rod then added to the plate.

IMG-8386.jpg

Here is another view showing the added detail on the side of the fifth wheel plate. I had to add evergreen to the side and sand smooth, as the kit didn't give enough width to add the bolts to hold the fifth wheel plate to the frame.

IMG-8387.jpg

Here is the spring I made installed to hold the air line. I think I need to shorten the spring up some so it looks like it under more tension. I may call it good enough.(HaHa)

IMG-8389.jpg

And finally as shot of it sitting where it is supposed to go. As you can see the hold down bolts are are now down on the side of the frame where they can actually do some good. I drilled all the way trough the frame rail so I had reference where to put the nuts on the inside of the frame (yes they are there). Also you can see the changes to the fifth wheel itself. I added some styrene strip to the front so I could add the tension bolt in the top of the fifth wheel. Also the release handle slides in and out depending on whether I put a trailer on it. Again I toyed with idea of making it fully functional just because, but I think it looks the part now and is not a European style fifth wheel.

IMG-8390.jpg

Thanks for looking in. And sorry its been so long.

I have been working on making new shock mounts for the front end. The kit gives a fair representation on one side and a not really so close on the other. Plus they have one mounted to the outside of the frame on the right side and on the left side its mounted on the inside of the frame. While I could find reference for the inside mounted shock it seems to not be the norm. So i am going what seems to be the most common. And I built 2 new shock mounts. The kit ones are above the new for reference.

IMG-8434.jpg

After seeing the macro I need to to a bit of shaping on the bottom still. Now I have to make the bottom shock mounts.

Thanks for looking in.

Tom

• 8 months later...

My modeling style is painful and slow. I tend to lose interest for a while then come back to things, that and real life problems seem to come up too. But I am about ready to start on it again. Thanks to the help of a forum member (Mr. Mopar) I have obtained a few parts I needed to keep going. In fact they are in chrome stripper as I type. Stay tuned.

Thanks

Tom

6 hours ago, steel_tiger1 said:

My modeling style is painful and slow. I tend to lose interest for a while then come back to things, that and real life problems seem to come up too. But I am about ready to start on it again. Thanks to the help of a forum member (Mr. Mopar) I have obtained a few parts I needed to keep going. In fact they are in chrome stripper as I type. Stay tuned.

Thanks

Tom

Keep it going Tom ,your get there ! I'm the same way .