Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junk Yard Rescue 2: Revell Acura Integra Type R from "Rice" to "Nice"

Dusted1972

Hi all.

Since my Junk Yard Rescue AMT 66 Mustang is on hold waiting on parts,I decided to start on this hideously riced out Revell Acura Integra Type R :blink:and turn it into a respectable looking tuner.I should have most of the parts and I should have the decal sheet somewhere.The only thing I'm missing are 3 stock Type R wheels (one is pictured) but I should have them on the way.If I decide to go a different route,I have other wheels to choose from.First thing is first and that is carefully taking this apart and put the body and other parts in the purple bath and strip that horrible paint off.:)

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

Having owned 3 Integra's in the past (two of them the DC2 chassis), it ranks in the top 3 of my all time favorite cars that I've owned or driven!

Sure, there are faster vehicles out there and its a dinosaur in today's technology, but it did deliver smiles per miles for me.  Such a driver's car...

Never been into the "Rice" look - can't wait to see how you rescue this one!

Keep up the good work

Having owned 3 Integra's in the past (two of them the DC2 chassis), it ranks in the top 3 of my all time favorite cars that I've owned or driven!

Sure, there are faster vehicles out there and its a dinosaur in today's technology, but it did deliver smiles per miles for me.  Such a driver's car...

Never been into the "Rice" look - can't wait to see how you rescue this one!

Keep up the good work

I agree ,they are good cars.I've driven a few from my work and pretty snappy.Being  a mostly American muscle car guy,I do love  imports if they are built "right" and look good not something built out of Autozone bolt on parts.lol But I've done some research and this muscle car guy is going to build this Acura "the way I" would build it if it were a 1:1 car of my own .I don't buy into the whole "Muscle vs Imports" because I'm a car guy first.I like them all .If it looks good,built right,and goes fast it doesn't matter to me really where it came from Detroit,Japan,etc .I've seen  some pretty mean turbo DSM's absolutely whip on muscle cars and vice versa lol  .Back in my high school days in the early 90's  I had a turbo Supra that was mean and did some work to and a Nissan 240Z  so I guess you could call me an old school tuner.I had to sell them because of insurance .lol  But anyway Yes,the paint on this thing hurt my eyes.It also had a big tall ugly wing on it that is broken but that's ok I didn't plan on using it anyway.

Edited by Dusted1972

Wow , I can actually Hear that  that window glass, sighing a big thank you !! 

it was rather tedious trying to remove it without breaking it.lol I think the only things I did break were the tabs in the back where the body mounts to the chassis. Oh,and the exhaust pipe broke at the muffler but thats ok it can be glued back together.No problemo.That's the challenge with these rebuilds is taking them apart without making them worse.lol

Amazing what primer reveals.The purple power did take off the stripes and clear.But it didn't touch the green.Which is ok because it's not that thick.I'll have to rescribe the moldings and fix some other flaws,Those aren't pinholes on the roof.This was a very light dusting of primer just so I can see the flaws and they will sand out.

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

Edited by Dusted1972

I enjoy these "rebuilder" threads :). That paint-- I'm almost 100% sure that's Model Master Mystic Emerald (lacquer, the "one-coat" stuff that goes on thickly), and it comes off pretty easily in 91% rubbing alcohol. Try using a spin-brush or a Sonicare on it it while it's submerged if you need to remove it within an hour or so. That dimpled finish looks like the previous builder's *really* heavy orange peel. 

Edited by zak78

I enjoy these "rebuilder" threads :). That paint-- I'm almost 100% sure that's Model Master Mystic Emerald (lacquer, the "one-coat" stuff that goes on thickly), and it comes off pretty easily in 91% rubbing alcohol. Try using a spin-brush or a Sonicare on it it while it's submerged if you need to remove it within an hour or so. That dimpled finish looks like the previous builder's *really* heavy orange peel. 

Whatever paint it is it's causing problems.

I don't know what this model was painted with but it's been a nightmare.This has never happened to me before but the primer "cracked" everywhere on the body and the hood after a couple of days but the paint underneath didn't crack.Very strange.

I have since then completely resanded and removed all the paint right down to the plastic ,re primed and so far it has worked out.I know it's not the primer because I've been using it for a long time and never has gave me problems.And I know it's not the can or a bad can because I just used it on a couple of other projects and it worked fine.My "workhorse" primer is the  Dupli-Color Sandable primer and it's always been very reliable.I like the High Build primer for heavy body work.You have to be a bit careful with it because it does thiken up and can hide details.

dup-fillerprimer-400.jpg

dup-sandprimer-400.jpg

The cracking could be residue or vapors from the stripper you used. I had the same problem when I re-primed after stripping with Easy Off even though I washed the body a couple of times with soap and water. Now I have to sand down the body on my Subaru build.

On a side note, did you get the wheels you were looking for? I have some, if not.

Later-

The cracking could be residue or vapors from the stripper you used. I had the same problem when I re-primed after stripping with Easy Off even though I washed the body a couple of times with soap and water. Now I have to sand down the body on my Subaru build.

On a side note, did you get the wheels you were looking for? I have some, if not.

Later-

thats what I was thinking.But I've always used Purple Power and this is a first time it's cracked like this.But could have been the green paint still reacting to the stripper.Or to the primer I don't know,lol .It was weird.You know how the ground looks during a drought all cracked?Thats what it looked like.

Not yet.I put in a request to Revell on 12/31/16 but nothing yet.I know it takes awhile for the parts to arrive.I'll let you know if I don't get them.Thank you :) good luck on your Subaru

Edited by Dusted1972

Update (Finally,I know,right?)
 let there be paint. Gone is the ugly ricer paint replaced by gloss white.After a mishap with cracking primer and having to sand it down again,I'm glad to have some progress going.The paint came out a bit orange peely so I sanded it and polished it out.Still not perfect though.I was a bit disappointed with how the black trim came out since I ran out of fine line tape at the time I did this.Plus,I had to rescribe much of the molding lines .The paint is just regular Rustoleum Gloss white  with Rustoleum Clear.I didn't want to use Testors enamel since that tends to lay on too thick.I was surprised at how fast this dried and was ready to polish.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

Edited by Dusted1972

I really need to build a photo booth.But here is a bit of a mock up for a sneak peek of what I'm working with.I masked off the windows and sprayed around them black although you really can't tell in these pics but I'll try and shoot better pics once completed.Since I don't have the Type R wheels I originally wanted to go with,I picked these out of the Revell Mitsubishi Eclipse ,dechromed them and painted them the same color as the car. (which I plan on doing soon.)They don't look too bad.

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

Edited by Dusted1972

Done.Or as done as it's going to be for now!:D

After a couple of years of not building,I feel very rusty and had a hard time keeping my hands steady when doing detail work.Hopefully the next one comes out better because things went wrong with this but I was able to fix them the best I could.It's not perfect but I'm satisfied with it.I'm not sure about the wheels and how far they stick out so I may shorten them later and they a bit straightening out.The decals being no good was a bummer but it looks ok without them.And I don't feel like bugging Revell for a new set right now.I used a different air intake pipe since I wasn't too crazy about the stock one.I may build a stock looking airbox later and use a different muffler.I didn't like the clear tail lights so I masked them,and the spot where the reverse lights are and sprayed the inside with Testors Transparent Candy Red.The headlights were a bit of a nightmare but got them the best I could. I didn't have the stock front valance so I used the custom one.One thing I hate about white paint is how easy dust and stuff shows as you can probably see in the pics. (even though I wiped the model off I still ended up with dust,lol)

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

Edited by Dusted1972