Model Cars Magazine Forum

Supercharged 4-banger?

I was digging thru the spare parts box and found this engine...

everything is there (I think), except the exhaust manifold

think it might look good in a early roadster <_<

the block was pre-assembled...just mocked it up with white glue for photo purposes

anyone out there know what this engine is and which kits it may have been included

note: the tranny was added from the parts box

thanx

P5204646-vi.jpg

P5204647-vi.jpg

P5204648-vi.jpg

P5204640-vi.jpg

I was digging thru the spare parts box and found this engine...

everything is there (I think), except the exhaust manifold

think it might look good in a early roadster <_<

the block was pre-assembled...just mocked it up with white glue for photo purposes

anyone out there know what this engine is and which kits it may have been included

note: the tranny was added from the parts box

thanx

P5204646-vi.jpg

P5204647-vi.jpg

P5204648-vi.jpg

P5204640-vi.jpg

Let's try the supercharged Pontiac 4-cylinder (half of a 389cid V8) from the old Revell kit of Mickey Thompson's Attempt I dragster from about 1964-64.

Biscuitbuilder

Guest Gramps-xrds

I didn't know what it was out of, but it looked Pontiac to me too. At least the the head & valve cover. I think Mickey Thompson did do a lot of R&D for pontiac. <_<

that is one goofy looking thang there.

i can see it in a lsr car trying for a certain class record but on the street or in a show i would be rolling on the ground laughing my a$$ off as they say. i mean, whats the point? four less pistons and connecting rods saving weight? maybe some crank weight too? but then supercharge it?

sometimes this stuff just flat amazes me.

the only thing i can say is:

:(

:lol: Actually J.B. I think it actually was a Pontiac production engine in the Tempest line-up,at the same time they made the IRS/transaxle. Must been around 61 to 63.It really was 1/2 of a V-8! :lol:

It was. my Second Car was a '63 LeMans with the 4 Banger in it. Got 25 mpg, had decent torque and with it's 24

inch Glass Pack Muffler it sounder like a runaway tractor :lol:

The only thing one had to pay attention to was NEVER Break when in a turn unless you had installed a Sway Bar because the rear axles would "scissor". I did that once soon after getting the Car and I can assure you it's something best avoided!

Crazy Ed

Guest zebm1

Speaking of sawn-off V-8 short blocks.....the Dodge 3.9 litre V-6 is a 318 with 2 of the cylinders sawn-off. :P gets good gas mileage under 50 mph....over 55 mph and it drinks gas like a drunk at Last Call...... :lol:

It boggles the mind to think of all the things done to create horsepower and/or economy. Granatelli (I think) had a 500+ horsepower 4 banger Fiero that got some ungodly mileage too, if I remember right. Fords GT90 had a V12 that was 2 of their V6s welded together, I remember something about 2 V8s in a dragster that were meshed at the flywheel so one had to be configured to run backwards. And there is the whole reverse head flow thing where the intake comes in the sides and exaust out the top of the motor... I am sure every one of us recalls some wierd setup or configuration looking for speed or economy (or both)...