Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari 360 Spider

Funkychiken

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 8:28 PM, Italianhorses said:

One of the best Tamiya kits as far as the fit and design goes. Everything is done top notch. 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:36 PM, Nacho Z said:

Looking very nice so far!

On 9/11/2018 at 12:16 AM, ismaelg said:

Nice!  I built the coupe years ago. It is the best kit I've ever worked with.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:26 AM, da_ashman said:

Nice! Love White Ferraris!!! I'm working on the same kit at the moment, such a great kit by tamiya!

Thanks guys for your comments!

Slow progress, but have coated with zero 2K. Mixed results, and I put a lot of effort into keeping the area clean! Vacuumed, Changed the extractor filter, and let it all settle over a a few days before spraying. I do also cover the parts for drying, but the dust got impregnated during spraying. 

Also mixed results in finish, the bonnet looks great - mirror like finish, but the engine cover definitely needs sanding & polishing... Lights finished too!

20180928_191118.jpg

20180929_152207.jpg

20180929_152231.jpg

20180929_151205.jpg

20180928_191105.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

White is sooooo hard to paint!!, even with a klean room. If you can hang plastic around the room, and use Canned Air to blast the parts off first, and between every coat. This works GREAT for me, and I VERY rarely have anything stick in my finishes. The plastic acts as huge magnets for dust in the air.  Its looking GREAT!!...you can fix it!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working away, and slowly making progress on this in the background.

Resprayed the body shell with 2k Zero paints, got more dust in it - which is  frustrating... but I've started to sand and polish, the engine cover and the skirts are the only pieces completed thus far - nice to see the shine come back again, but it's never as shiny as the paint finish when sprayed... wont be long now...

20181104_175958.jpg

Resprayed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 10:54 PM, Italianhorses said:

Keep at it, looks good.

Thanks Alex!

All-in-all, i'm not sure it was worth the heavy sanding to remove the dust. the paint shell has now been sanded with Tamiya wet & dry 1000, 1500, 2000, then micromesh 3200 3600 4000, 6000, 8000, then nuvous 1, 2 & 3.

It's burnt through in 2 areas - so a quick question for those that read the posts - would you put 2 coats of 2k down? I normally do 1 mist coat - then multiple passes until it's glass like (once),  so if you do 2 coats - how long would you wait between coats???

Pictures shown are fully polished now - no where near as shiny as "just sprayed".

the final picture is the wheel cowels - these skirts were masked & painted. Hopefully this is my last air-brushing on this kit - the engine bay area inside the body shell will be hand painted flat black.

Just assembly now...

20181125_225122.jpg

20181125_225134.jpg

20181129_210850.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Looking really good!  It is your fault now I have the itch to do a white Ferrari....  :)

6 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!.....it looks FANTASTIC in white/black!!!

Thanks Dann and Ismael! I'm going to polish her up in the new year and post finish pics!

• 4 weeks later...