Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/8th L.A. Chopper

Whoever the Revell rep is, can he shine a little light on whether the molds for this classic still exist, and if might ever be reissued? I had one I found in a Navy Exchange store in 1983....... I would love to do another without taking out a second mortgage.

Whoever the Revell rep is, can he shine a little light on whether the molds for this classic still exist, and if might ever be reissued? I had one I found in a Navy Exchange store in 1983....... I would love to do another without taking out a second mortgage.

I woiuld go absolutely crazy for an LA street chopper !!!

Ya'll know the recently reissued (nee Monogram) Revell Grim Reaper and Freedom Chopper (a different version based on the same tool) are both still easily available on Ebay, right? The GR is about $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Tom-Daniel-Grim-Reaper-Chopper-1-8-scale-motorcycle-model-kit-new-7541-/192107118555?hash=item2cba79ffdb:g:edoAAOSwdGFYpmng

Image result for Revell 1/8th L.A. Chopper

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Be nice to see them again. 

I have a few LA SC in my stash.

The last one I sold went for $250.00 CDN.

The cop bikes make good doner kits , like this rendition of a 1970's hillclimber:

862bde87-adba-4a8b-90e5-5fd3b88f06c5_zps

And I have developed a set of resin a/m parts for the kits, carb, manifold , magneto , primary belt drive , velocity stack , etc :

IMG_0950_zpscak7jmfi.jpg

c88f7b44-55e5-4a78-9295-fa09c0c587b0_zps

Full blog here:

http://kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=240355&page=1

I love the kits , but not a huge market for them but by all means ,bring them back!

Edited by krow113

One of the problems regardless if the plastic tooling still exists was that many if not all the Revell 60's and early 70's motorcycle kits sourced their tires from Japan. Therefore any reissue would incur immediate tooling cost.

This seems to have been a common practice amongst other kit companies. Monogram's early 6 in 1 and hot rod kits like the Green Hornet and Black Widow also had Japanese tires. That's why the reissued kits have different tires than the originals.

I know tires don't seem like a big deal, but it could make a difference on the kit being profitable or not after additional tooling money was invested.

Tires yes.

I have some LASC with the self disintegrating tires , self consuming or whatever they are.

I regularly scour swap meet tables for replacement tires.

I'll be looking at casting tires with the rim in some cases , like the drag bike tires in the knucklehead and Triumph drag bike models. It would be tough to get one of those hard rubber slicks onto a one piece rim.

Perhaps Harleys incipient corporate greed is in play as well as there are some trademarks in the mix.

Ya'll know the recently reissued (nee Monogram) Revell Grim Reaper and Freedom Chopper (a different version based on the same tool) are both still easily available on Ebay, right? The GR is about $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Tom-Daniel-Grim-Reaper-Chopper-1-8-scale-motorcycle-model-kit-new-7541-/192107118555?hash=item2cba79ffdb:g:edoAAOSwdGFYpmng

Image result for Revell 1/8th L.A. Chopper

Yes, the Freedom and Grim are the same tool, but a Monogram tool.

Image result for revell harley davidson freedom chopper

Revell was a totally different, and better, tooling. 

Image result for revell harley davidson freedom chopper

Yes the GR and FC are the same kit with decal differences I believe...

That 'custom chopper' panhead  is not 1/8 its more like 1/12 as is the 'Rough Rider' shovelhead kit. A little mistake there on the manufacturers part.

Some peeps think the FC is a panhead as well , its missing the shovel rocker shaft end hardware detail.

Not a lot of interest in the kits despite what we feel.

Most guys are happy to try the 1/12 ones from Revell, Bone Daddy , High Roller etc.

No-one I know would build a cop bike either!

Here is my resin set for the 1/8 Revell shovelhead kits:

From left to right: S&S Super D carb , Joe Hunt style magneto , intake manifold , rear competition sprocket , front drive sprocket , rear stock sprocket , belt drive clutch hub , front primary drive pully.

And the subject matter , two diff boxings:

What some peeps got as a front tire:

And if you ever find one , be aware that the CLEAR headlight lens is 3/8" dia and is loose in the box.

Must be one of those 'good ol' days' things!