Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Corvette ZR1 Convertible (update 4/21 decal disaster)

Brett Barrow

Simple OOTB (out of two boxes) kitbash of AMT's 90's-tooling 70 ZR1 Coupe and 72 Convertible. Seats are the difference between the years. 

Paint is Mr Color Super White, despite the name it's actually a slightly off-white perfect for factory-stock white. 

I'm replicating a 1:1 car, there were only 25 1970 ZR1's and I think only 8 were convertibles. 

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

Edited by Brett Barrow

Very nice--you're off to a great start.

This is a great kit, and one that hasn't gotten the love it deserves. I've done both the full-detail and the promo/snapper version of the coupe. Doing the roadster, you're dodging the coupe's one minor flaw, which is the roof is a bit taller than it should be. (It's meaty enough to work down to a shape that's closer to correct.)

Coincidentally, Brett, while looking in the Snakepit the other day for your '67 Vette wheels, I came across a NIB kit of the the '72 roadster I didn't even know I had. Might have to build that one too sometime soon!

Very nice--you're off to a great start.

This is a great kit, and one that hasn't gotten the love it deserves. I've done both the full-detail and the promo/snapper version of the coupe. Doing the roadster, you're dodging the coupe's one minor flaw, which is the roof is a bit taller than it should be. (It's meaty enough to work down to a shape that's closer to correct.)

Coincidentally, Brett, while looking in the Snakepit the other day for your '67 Vette wheels, I came across a NIB kit of the the '72 roadster I didn't even know I had. Might have to build that one too sometime soon!

Yep, I love this kit, too.  I have a red promo, a snapper and the coupe and convertible.  I wish Round 2 would give it the Retro treatment, maybe throw some alternate wheels or something in there. Maybe do up some stock wheel covers or possibly even a regular small-block hood and you'd have a nice mainstreamer.   Their new Polyglas Parts Pack L60 tires work perfectly on it, too, better than the tires that came with it.  They could change up the printing to the Wide Tread F70-15 and put white stripes on the backside. 

That white looks just right for a Corvette. 

It was a toss up between using this color and a normal pure white. Maybe I should have went 50/50 mix but I really wanted to see how it looked on a model.  It's just a tick light compared to my chip of 69 Can-Am White (the brighter Corvette white, renamed Classic White in 70), but maybe comes across a bit dark on the model.  We'll see how it looks once the interior is in and there's something darker to contrast against.  I think it'll work perfect for Dover White, the regular GM white.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

More progress, interior painted! 

Here's the hood next to my chip for 1969 Can-Am White (renamed Classic White for 1970). The 1:1 color is surprisingly greenish.  

SzfLeUih.jpg 

I'm lucky enough not only to have a full set of 1969 GM exterior paint chips, but I also have a full set of 1969 interior colors (which were actually thrown into a totally unrelated set of 1966 Chevy chips that I bought off eBay).  I don't think the blue interior changed for 1970 since the exterior color it was matched to didn't change (LeMans Blue was simply renamed Mulsanne Blue). I mixed around 25% of #8 Silver into #76 Metallic Blue (all Mr Color) to tone it down a bit, I think I got pretty close! 

UMPK7uah.jpg

I'm loving this color combination! 

n0YqTkXh.jpg  

Stay tuned! 

Edited by Brett Barrow

Yeah, that's a great color combo and you're really nailing the hues. I have very similar colors going on a boxed up '67 Impala. Makes me want to pull it back out.

Funny you should mention that...   

Image result for 1967 ss427 white blue interior

This one is in the primer stage right now thanks to the wheels Snake is sending me. But it might wind up Tahoe Turquoise with black or maybe teal interior, I havent totally made up my mind yet.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

This one is in the primer stage right now thanks to the wheels Snake is sending me. But it might wind up Tahoe Turquoise with black or maybe teal interior, I havent totally made up my mind yet.  

I like that one! The factory should have made those wheels available as a R.P.O. on the '67 SS427. That is one beautiful car!

Here's the hood next to my chip for 1969 Can-Am White (renamed Classic White for 1970). The 1:1 color is surprisingly greenish.  

SzfLeUih.jpg 

I'm lucky enough not only to have a full set of 1969 GM exterior paint chips, but I also have a full set of 1969 interior colors (which were actually thrown into a totally unrelated set of 1966 Chevy chips that I bought off eBay).  I don't think the blue interior changed for 1970 since the exterior color it was matched to didn't change (LeMans Blue was simply renamed Mulsanne Blue). I mixed around 25% of #8 Silver into #76 Metallic Blue (all Mr Color) to tone it down a bit, I think I got pretty close! 

UMPK7uah.jpg

n0YqTkXh.jpg  

Stay tuned! 

I really like that one Brett!!!!!

When I get around to building mine, it's prolly gonna be Tahoe Turquoise. Testor has a little-bottle metallic Teal that's a passably good match. Are you planning to fix the roof on yours? There's something not right about the shape of the C-pillars, or the rear windows, or something. I haven't quite figured out exactly what the problem is but I know that every time I see this kit built, that area jumps out at me as not looking right.

I really like the assjacked look of the one in your pic, though of course it's a long way from stock. I'll prolly do mine something like that, too, though maybe not as severe.

BTW, my alltime favorite car of my parents' was their '68 Impala in a dark green--I think it was called Sequoia Green? They didn't have it long--it got damaged in a freak accident and they replaced it with a white '69 with green vinyl top, which I never liked nearly as much. That DG '68 was just straight-up badass looking!

Edited by Snake45

SzfLeUih.jpg

Stay tuned!

You have a much better eye than I do. To me, "White is white," and I use Model Master Classic White for all of it--with the exception of Ford Wimbledon white, which is notably OFF-white, with a hint of yellow or cream in it.

This one is in the primer stage right now thanks to the wheels Snake is sending me. 

Did you get the wheels yet? The PO girl said you should get them (last) Monday. I've got a tracking number if they haven't shown up yet.

Yep. I got them today, I was just logging in to let you know. Thanks again! 

As for the Impala, I don't plan on doing anything major, just some MCG emblems. Reshaping and correcting stuff inevitably leads to me screwing it up so I keeps it simple. I have some Scale Finishes Tahoe Turq but that Testors teal is a real nice factory stock-ish color. I'm pretty sure it used to be Boyd's Chezoom Teal.  I'm not a big stickler for total color accuracy (despite owning a bunch of color chip sheets) my theory is that 60s  factory colors tended to fall into a certain tonal range and it's more important to have "the look" than be totally spot on. If it looks right, it is right is my philosophy. 

I like that one! The factory should have made those wheels available as a R.P.O. on the '67 SS427. That is one beautiful car!

GM had plans to offer the L71 on full-size but scrapped it. My plan is to do a what-if tri-power, what the Z24 should have been. 

Edited by Brett Barrow

I had two, one was yellowed and really showed up on the white, the other had a big splodge of one of the other ink colors right smack dab in the big clear open area.  Then it wrinkled after MicroSol and I hoped I could sand some of it out after clear then this happened when I started sanding.  It's been stripped and will get repainted and I have a line on a Fred Cady sheet if my post in Wanted doesn't come through. 

Decal yellowing can often be cured by taping the decal sheet on the inside of a window that gets a lot of sun (or on the package tray of your car) for a period of time--it can take days or weeks. I've had a great deal of success "bleaching" very old model airplane decal sheets this way.

And then give the decal a nice coat of Micro Superfilm.

Edited by Snake45