Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 500K

Cpt Tuttle

IMG_20170527_220705.thumb.jpg.0fb35d0df3
Since nobody will be happy to see this lying in a cabinet at my place, and they are made to be built, I start on it! I'm a builder and not a collector.

IMG_20170527_220741.thumb.jpg.8cc7d79fa4

I read somewhere that the factory made only some cars for exhibitions with black engines. Most restorers go for that alternative but the standard colour of the engine was green. I have no idea how correct that is, but I just guess now that it was and choose to paint it that way.

IMG_20170529_215133.thumb.jpg.a0da161c46
I don't like painting fenders on vintage cars, there's always somewhere the paint doesn't cover and then when you cover it, you get a thick coat of paint somewhere else.....but now it is done. Got some orange peel but I will try to polish that when the paint has cured.
IMG_20170529_215056.thumb.jpg.c997803695
The engine. Nothing special. Painted some of the chrome parts with aluminium paint since they did have a quite raw cast finish from the factory and chrome looks wrong. However, I kept the chrome on the valve cover since there's not impossible that it could have been polished....
IMG_20170529_215042.thumb.jpg.da43902774

Added plug wires, not much more, but for a kit released in 1964, the engine is quite detailed anyway.

Very nice so far... I built one of these a few years back. It builds up beautifully and looks fantastic when completed. You did the right thing by getting one of the early releases, as later issues have more issues with flash, missing chrome, etc. 

I always liked this kit for some reason. I think I have 6 of them including a first run with gold cup.

They did get pretty horrible towards the end when Seville was trying to revive them.

Edited by CAL

Looks like you got a great start on it

.I too have built this model more years ago than I can count, It is a great kit, went together well & still looks good sitting in its Sho-case. Wished there had been or I had Internet then. I would have done some better research & would have known what color to paint the engine.

I had a 500K roadster limo HT. kit molded in a gorgeous maroon. but sold it. Wished I hadn't...

• 1 month later...