Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Dodge Dart Spirit of '76

echoxrayniner

By and large , I love MPC of this era . Like any other manufacturer , there are some goofs / mistakes / compromises , and this 1976 Annual --and its predecessors-- is no exception : 

- No Brake Master Cylinder 

- Incorrect engine-to-transmission-to-interior

- Panel Lines need to be Added or Enhanced 

This is by no means a knock to MPC , et al.  --- just an observation .

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2017 at 9:33 AM, 1972coronet said:

I've had my eyes on those 197Spirio'7decals , but have been hesitant to 'pull the trigger' . Now that I've seen how gorgeous they look , I absolutely must get a set pronto ! 

The parting lines on the C-pillars are really exaggerated on your example . Oddly , their placement is virtually where the trim would be for a vinyl top-equipped model . Perhaps you could , if you so desire , make a couple of small trim pieces , foil 'em up , and simply place them above the offencive parting lines .

The Dart Lite was a 1976-only model , a companion to the Feather Duster ; all of them were powered by the 225 Slant Six ; they underwent extensive modifications to lighten their weight by around 200 lbs.  Believe it or not , a properly-equipped model was good for 30-40 MPG ! That was stellar in 1976 , and is equally impressive some 40 year later ! 

Years ago I looked for a Dart Lite and a Feather Duster. 4 speed OD A-833 Aluminum trans, Aluminum hood and truck lid, no options other than a heater. Cool cars.

I ended up building as close as I could get with a 74 Duster, found all the parts except the hood and truck. Mine was Yellow with 340 stripes and dual exhaust, but still a slant 6. Fun car.

OP, your 76 Dart looks fantastic. Very inspiring.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:33 AM, 1972coronet said:

I've had my eyes on those 197Spirio'7decals , but have been hesitant to 'pull the trigger' . Now that I've seen how gorgeous they look , I absolutely must get a set pronto ! 

The parting lines on the C-pillars are really exaggerated on your example . Oddly , their placement is virtually where the trim would be for a vinyl top-equipped model . Perhaps you could , if you so desire , make a couple of small trim pieces , foil 'em up , and simply place them above the offencive parting lines .

The Dart Lite was a 1976-only model , a companion to the Feather Duster ; all of them were powered by the 225 Slant Six ; they underwent extensive modifications to lighten their weight by around 200 lbs.  Believe it or not , a properly-equipped model was good for 30-40 MPG ! That was stellar in 1976 , and is equally impressive some 40 year later ! 

Years ago I looked for a Dart Lite and a Feather Duster. 4 speed OD A-833 Aluminum trans, Aluminum hood and truck lid, no options other than a heater. Cool cars.

I ended up building as close as I could get with a 74 Duster, found all the parts except the hood and truck. Mine was Yellow with 340 stripes and dual exhaust, but still a slant 6. Fun car.

OP, your 76 Dart looks fantastic. Very inspiring.