Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Stude lakes car

slownlow

I've been messing with girl forever. The inspiration is a band name from the 60s, "Quicksilver Messenger Service". The color was always planed to be silver but I've been hanging around with some guys on the dark side (military modelers) and thought it would look good with panel lines. So hours later with my trusty razor saw here's where we're at now. The panels have no rhyme or reason, I'm sure if this body was done with panels they would be quite different but who the h.... would build this body out of panels anyway. As I researched images of planes I noticed the panels were often slightly different colors for no apparent reason, different mills, different allloys,?.... So here it is after a couple different shades of Model Masters Aluminum nonbuffing Metalizer. I'll add more shades but keep the shade variation more subtle. 

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

• Like 1

Now that's cool!  You could now use P-40 (maybe 1:48 scale) tiger

mouth and teeth decals on the side. Crazy eyeballs on the google

eyes looking bumps up front too!?!

It is going to look cool whatever you do though!!

David S.

I plan to run thin black and white D day stripes across the trunk area maybe some nose art on the front fenders and maybe some small bombs and swastikas. Fitting the Viper took some doing, New motor mounts, new drive shaft from 1/8" alum tube,bump back the firewall a tad, fabricate new tranny and drive shaft hump, and exhaust. The suspension is lowered with blocks spliced atrearsprings, and kit supplied kingpin position in front. The dashboard has been eliminated and 3 gauges hung from remaining arch, a tax added to steering column which is hung in a cradle from under side of dash arch.

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

Great concept.I love the random panels with varying colors as well.Are you planning on this being a street car or race vehicle?If the latter is your choice the roll cage is going to need some serious addition of bracing.That may all be a moot point though considering the chopped top allows minimum views of the interior.I personally might use some aircraft fasteners where the body panels are joined and the hood and trunk access hatch lids meet their adjoining panels.

Thanks for daring to take a different direction with your project and for sharing it with us.

Thanks for the comments. This is intended to be a lakes car destined for Nevada , El Mirage, or .... that's why I sanded down the tires to a smaller contact patch. In regards to the roll cage it's kit supplied and I'm not too concerned about reality with this project, more into the looks and feel of the car. Tom Woodruff what are you referring to as aircraft fasteners? Rivets or some kind of screw locking system or .....? It sounds interesting.

The aircraft fasteners word I used was possibly a poorly chosen term.I meant the Duetz(sp?) fastners sometimes used to secure hood and trunk panels in place where a flat edge tool like a screw driver was inserted into a slot in the center of the fastener and given a half turn to open the panel.I thought something like that might enhance the aircraft look even further.I seems to me those were round in shape and were flush mounted into the panels for streamlining.Possibly someone that has "strayed" into model aircraft can offer additional information.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking for nose art doing something with SNAFU'D STUDE and instead of swastikas denoting kills using blue ovals and bow ties. Also playing with the idea of a gun sticking out the headlight bulges. The Dzus fasteners would be cool. If I sharpen the inside my glue needle to make a small circle and a little scribe bisecting the circle it would look about right.