Model Cars Magazine Forum

Banjo Matthews Ford stock car

modelfink

Hey guys, I just finished this 39 Ford (I used a 40) that Banjo Matthews ran at McCormick field here in Asheville. My dad remembers watching Banjo win 16 straight races at the ball field, racing against legends such as Ned Jarrett, Ralph Earnhardt and Dickie Plemmons.  I used a Revell 40 Ford Standard coupe with parts from the Revell 37 Ford pickup and 37 coupe. Wheels and tires are from Ron Coon Resins, and the decals were purchased on eBay. I scratch built the roll cage, radiator, headers, seat frame and bumpers. The cowl was reworked to match the 37 hood and the firewall was reworked to replicate a 39 (with the battery located on the passenger side). Paint is Tamiya rattle can and Testors lacquer clear. Black pastels were used for mild weathering. 

banjo 5.jpg

banjo 3.jpg

banjo 4.jpg

banjo 2.jpg

banjo 1.jpg

Looks awesome. The paint and  detail is excellent. The model makers could have done us a big favor if they had made a 39 ford standard coupe as well as the 40. The 39 was used a lot more as a race car back in the day then the 40 was. I'm in the process of changing a 40 into a  38/39. The front half of the car is a 38 deluxe coupe and the back half is a 39 standard coupe. I guess the car was a 39 that got wrecked and they replaced the front sheet metal with 38 hood and grille. I hope to be finishing it up in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...