Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curbside models in competition

While the NNL shows are not a competition, Some of the curbside models that I have shown at the NNL North show have garnered quite a bit of attention.

While the object is not awards, I have done very well with those curbside kits, even up against some extremely nice full detail builds.

Steve

I can certainly relate. I too have had models (aircraft, mostly), that were very straightforward, with little or no AM, that won out over models that were pimped with every bit of AM known to exist.

And for what it's worth, your mostly OOB kits and mine, are two completely different animals, Steve. I've seen your work, and my lame efforts, aren't even close.

Hmmmm- seems like a well built T-bucket or roadster street rod could clean up in Curbside.

Interesting point about the undercarriage bits visible on a model. Results would vary dependent on the judge's viewing angle. How low do you go?

My guess would be, not very low, but that's just a guess. Competition is definitely not for everyone, and I understand that, but I love it, as it challenges me to become better (very desirable), and can be very informative as well. I don't know that I could ever be truly happy, building just for me.

Without coming across as a total horn tooter, I'll second what Steve said in that I have the trinkets of proof that a well done OOB Curbside can not only place, but win it's class against full blown kits that were fully detailed.

That's an interesting point. It never occurred to me that someone might enter a detailed model into a class that's basically for exterior looks (interiors on a convertible, for example, being an exception). Apparently I still have a lot to learn, but I appreciate all of this valuable input.

Here's my comments on this from memory so some of the dates may be off. The first curbsides I saw were done by the late Jack Davis in the 80's. He liked doing paint and some styling things and after years of detailing just wanted to concentrate on the exterior. He brought them to the NNL West, the Ontario CA club and various SoCal shows. As the Ontario Show got going around 1990, it was decided to add a curbside class since some other people had started doing them. As far as I know this was the first contest to have the class, but was soon picked up by most of the other CA shows (of which there were a lot then). At the time it was only body and paint, blacked out windows, nothing underneath in most case, a lot even had the wheels and tires just glued to blocks on inside of the body shell, tops of tires cut off to get bodies lower, no engines or at least they were not considered in judging. So guess this would what now would be considered Slammers. SAE and Model Car Journal started picking up on the trend and it spread. Since as usual people starting pushing the envelope of the rules and a Enhanced Curbside was created later in some shows. Not sure what goes on with them now. Wander into the Desert Scale Classic for awhile (didn't even make it this year with being out of town) and occasionally the local IMPS Modelzona and that's about it for contest and model shows anymore.

My experiences over the years is that MOST contests/displays consider curbside as looking like parked on the street, with no hood open.  The intent being form, fit, finish, look and emphasis on the vehicle design versus how much detail was put in.  In the 80's and 90's, many slammer classes were merged into this, thus limited to no consideration of visible components on the bottom.

I have seen many detailed models entered with the hoods closed as well as kits that came with no engine.  Each contest usually applies rules, though not necessarily as stringent as a box stock class.  I don't recollect any event where the model had to be curbside (such as many Japanese kits) to be entered.  A lot of resin kits, such as Modelhaus' offerings often fit a curbside category.

What is clear, is that curbsides need to SHINE.  That is build quality must be high and must give a strong impression.  There is no detail gimmickry or mirrored underside mounts to accentuate the build.  Just what you see.

I have seen full-detail models entered in the curbside class at my club's contest.  There is not rule against it (as long as the hood and doors are closed).

As far as slammers class goes, for many years MassCar club had an interesting version of that class: It took place in the contest venue's parking lot. You would put your "slammer" model on the pavement and climb a ladder next to the model. Then they would give you a sledge hammer which you would drop on your model. You would be judged on how far the parts scattered.  That was a fun class!