Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curbside models in competition

Perhaps a dumb question, but curbside contest rules usually call for hood to be closed. I've always assumed (for whatever reason), that there is then no need for an engine at all; is that true?

IPMS USA rules specifically state no engine for curbside, but is this necessarily applicable to all shows that have a curbside category?

Contest rules vary so much that it is difficult to say.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say most curbside contests don't require an engine except for any part that may be visible with the hood closed. - common sense I guess.  The oil pan and underside of the engine that would be visible from the side with four wheels on the ground should also be finished.  Some builders leave the rest of the underside unfinished and some I've seen have been pretty rough.  I try to make the underside at least look finished even if there is no chassis or suspension - I know it's there.

Edited by Muncie

yup, if you want to put your super detailed (with digital clock and egg-timer) build in curbside, that is an option you can take, however.... your entry will most likely be judged on the following criteria:

paint, attention to exterior detail, and... how much the judge likes it.

Here's one I built. Just a shell, no frame just attachment points for the wheels and tires. The only part of the engine is what's through the hood. I've never entered it in a contest, but I think it would/should be eligible for curbside. Just my opinion. 

IMG_0912.JPG

First off, VERY nice looking Mustang, but secondly, If it were me, I wouldn't enter this in curbside, unless you don't mind the outcome. This would be judged against other cars that have completed interiors, and would lose to them. Most of the shows I've competed in have a class for a build that has no engine or interior, its called "slam' or Slammer class", it would do great in that class.

No engine is required.

At least that's my understanding.

I'm not much for contests.

My only question would be that if there is an engine in the build, would it be eligible as a curbside?

If it is, nearly every model could be entered in the curbside category by simply closing the hood.

Steve

Well, at least as far as IPMS USA is concerned, no engine is the specific rule. If it has an engine, it is not eligible for curbside. Other contests though, affiliated or not, may not have the same requirement.

By the by, where do you have you parts chromed, Steve? I've seen that you do that from time to time, and I am considering having some done for myself.

First off, VERY nice looking Mustang, but secondly, If it were me, I wouldn't enter this in curbside, unless you don't mind the outcome. This would be judged against other cars that have completed interiors, and would lose to them. Most of the shows I've competed in have a class for a build that has no engine or interior, its called "slam' or Slammer class", it would do great in that class.

It's an interesting point. Since part of the engine is showing, that would seem to nullify the hood closed requirement, as the implication is that no engine is allowed, but I don't really know that, for certain. The MMVA (local club), does allow for blacked out windows, though it's not a requirement, as such.

My understanding of the term "curb side" means what you can see of the car from the curb. I would hazard a guess an engine is not required.

G

I agree, I look at it this way: walk up to a car on the street, look at it, what can you see without touching it. Just like the interior, you CAN see engine and suspension details on most cars. ALL of my "Curb Side" builds have Super detailed ineriors, and lower engine/suspensions. How often have you kneeled down next to a car, and saw something like a brake line, or vacuum hoses showing?

Edited by Dann Tier

Perhaps a dumb question, but curbside contest rules usually call for hood to be closed. I've always assumed (for whatever reason), that there is then no need for an engine at all; is that true?

IPMS USA rules specifically state no engine for curbside, but is this necessarily applicable to all shows that have a curbside category?

By the way, that's not a dumb question at all. You actually got me thinking, What if there was a 1:1 car with the hood down, but with a blower stuck through the hood? -it would STILL be "curb side" as long as you didn't open the hood. As much as I HATE complexity, maybe there should be a new class of "curb side" that is for builds that have blowers sticking out through the GLUED-DOWN hood. Lets face it, contests are complex anyway, that's why I stopped competing. Not trying to beat my point into the ground, After thinking about it, its simple; go outside, look at your car from various heights and angles....kneel down.....stand on your head, whatever you can see IS curbside......period.    By the way, GREAT question!!......thanks!

Edited by Dann Tier

Very interesting observations, Dann. Since I've yet to actually enter the curbside category, and considering there's only about 6" of ground clearance on the real car (strictly an arbitrary number on my part), which is only 1/4" in 1:24 scale, would anything really be able to be seen, anyway? I'm going to go "engine-less", and see what happens.

I had asked the question of velocity stacks exiting the hood on a curbside, but never received an answer from the MMVA folks.

By the by, where do you have you parts chromed, Steve? I've seen that you do that from time to time, and I am considering having some done for myself.

I haven't had any done for a while, but I used to use Chrome Tech.

I've had less than stellar results from them as of late, so the last time I had a batch done, it was with Kustom Khrome & I was extremely pleased with the results!

It has since changed hands, but if the same chromer is involved I would not hesitate to use them again.

They did very nice work!

Steve

I haven't had any done for a while, but I used to use Chrome Tech.

I've had less than stellar results from them as of late, so the last time I had a batch done, it was with Kustom Khrome & I was extremely pleased with the results!

It has since changed hands, but if the same chromer is involved I would not hesitate to use them again.

They did very nice work!

Steve

Thanks a bunch for that, Steve. I just picked up a Monogram '29 Ford pick-up, but the chrome, particularly on the wheels, is just horrible, so I'm considering having them redone.

From our club's contest flyer, here is a definition of "curbside":

26. CURBSIDE: Any automobile model displayed as it would sit curbside. (Hood/doors closed) Not judged using points system.

7. SMALL SCALE, DIORAMAS, SHELF MODELS, MISCELLANEOUS, CURBSIDE AND MILITARY (Class 9, 11, 23, 24,
25, 26, and 29): Will be judged using only the construction and degree-of-difficulty criteria associated with the Points System method
explained in Rule 1 as well as the visual attributes and presentation aesthetics of the entry. Additionally, Dioramas will be judged on
the quality of composition and strength of theme that is presented with scale equivalence of figures, buildings, etc. weighing heavily in
judging decisions. We request your Diorama base size be limited to 36” x 36” maximum.

We do not disqualify someone who wants to enter a fully detailed model in the curbside category (but they need to keep the hood and doors closed).  I don't think that engine poking through the closed hood would disqualify the model from entering.

Curbside is kind of an antiquated class at this point. It was sort of a bone throw to import/race/resin guys who were building kits with no engine and minimal chassis detail. But these days very few - if any - contests still allow judges to pick up an entry to inspect the chassis work or look at the engine in close detail. That's why most say if you specifically want your chassis judged you need to put it on a mirrored base. 

Since nobody is picking up the entries anymore a kit that's curbside in content has just an equal chance to win a regular class. It wouldn't surprise me to see Box Stock/OOB get phased out as well since it really doesn't matter how much effort someone spends in plumbing a chassis, unless they have the mirror base to show it off.

One thing that grinds my gears is when Curbside & Slammer are combined into one class. I don't mean to imply offense but someone who spends the time to build an entire kit, interior included shouldn't be judged against someone who spent a couple of hours making a very nice body shell over aftermarket wheels.

If the engine is visible (like the Ferrari and Lamborghini examples) it should be judged.  Same for the interior on a convertible and the suspension and what can be seen of the bottom on a jacked up 4x4. 

The rule of thumb is very simple.  Judge all that can be seen without picking it up.  Just like walking around a real car and looking without touching.

I basically agree, James. Since it already seems to take me forever to finish a basic (mostly OOB) car model, and I'm not willing at this point, to go all nuts on the chassis' or engines, I like the idea of just getting a few done, and go from there, not having to go head to head with the amazingly detailed stuff that routinely shows up, as I'd have no chance at all against them, so it's a good way for me to get my feet wet.

Thanks for the input, Scale-Master. Eventually I'll get to my roadsters and Phaetons, and at that point will have to "up my game" somewhat, but as a relative newbie, car modeling wise, I really feel the need to at least get a few under my belt, before I'll have the confidence to push further.

I'm even considering not going the BMF route on this one (70 Hemi 'Cuda), as that's one area I've seen that can really make or break the finish. I just attended a show last weekend, and several cars that otherwise looked real good to me, had chrome that did not look so good, and that undoubtedly hurt them in that competition.

I basically agree, James. Since it already seems to take me forever to finish a basic (mostly OOB) car model, and I'm not willing at this point, to go all nuts on the chassis' or engines, I like the idea of just getting a few done, and go from there, not having to go head to head with the amazingly detailed stuff that routinely shows up, as I'd have no chance at all against them, so it's a good way for me to get my feet wet.

While the NNL shows are not a competition, Some of the curbside models that I have shown at the NNL North show have garnered quite a bit of attention.

While the object is not awards, I have done very well with those curbside kits, even up against some extremely nice full detail builds.

Steve

Hmmmm- seems like a well built T-bucket or roadster street rod could clean up in Curbside.

Interesting point about the undercarriage bits visible on a model. Results would vary dependent on the judge's viewing angle. How low do you go?

Edited by ZTony8