Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

Raymond Federowicz...... Thank you for the detailed information regarding foamboard, and although I have heard of Gatorboard it is not something that I have researched yet.... it is time I did read up on it of course. The same goes for shellac really, which I know very little about. One MCM member did point me in the direction of Gesso as it is a well used primer for artist's paintings, so I went out and purchased two 500 ml tubs of gesso. All of your suggestions are welcome Raymond and every piece of information is most useful when dealing with unfamiliar materials and products. This is what makes our hobby so interesting.

David

Worked out how I wanted to support the rear opposite corner of the building, using wooden posts and square footings. This building has no rear wall, or a right-hand side wall, and there is no opening wall like on the larger diorama building in 1:24 scale. The 1:43 scale building has only a left-hand side wall and a front wall, which means that I have free access to the showroom floors in order to place scale model cars and figures in that space. When this diorama goes to exhibition venues later, there will be large plain white backing boards in place, so that you cannot see what is behind the building by looking through the windows of the showrooms.

Both the front and side walls have been coated with gesso on the inside and the outside walls will also be getting a coat of gesso once the yacht varnish has dried on the black doors. The next stage of the construction is the bay windows for the ground floor and the first floor. Today the office partition wall was hot glued to the ground floor and yacht varnish was applied to both crimson acrylic showroom floors. Figure painting has started well, using Vallejo acrylic paints this time, rather than Humbrol and Revell enamel paints. Some of the sign writing is now in place, including number ' 54 ' on the main entrance door upper window pane.

David

100_4555.JPG

100_4557.JPG

100_4562.JPG

100_4564.JPG

100_4569.JPG

100_4572.JPG

Yordan..... Usually I make use of discarded cake packaging from an up market British food store, which provides good quality acetate sheet in a good size, as long as it is a big cake! However, for this second smaller diorama I have used transparency sheets that are intended for printing reverse images. The transparency sheets are rough on one side and glossy on the other side. Previously I had purchased these transparencies to print the lettering for the walls of the 1:24 scale building,  but the idea came to me that I could use them for the windows on the 1:43 scale building as the glass is half the thickness of the larger windows. For the lower showroom floors of the 1:24 building I did use polyester sheets from the local Hobbycraft store, which are around two millimetres in thickness.

David

5 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Yordan..... Usually I make use of discarded cake packaging from an up market British food store, which provides good quality acetate sheet in a good size, as long as it is a big cake! However, for this second smaller diorama I have used transparency sheets that are intended for printing reverse images. The transparency sheets are rough on one side and glossy on the other side. Previously I had purchased these transparencies to print the lettering for the walls of the 1:24 scale building,  but the idea came to me that I could use them for the windows on the 1:43 scale building as the glass is half the thickness of the larger windows. For the lower showroom floors of the 1:24 building I did use polyester sheets from the local Hobbycraft store, which are around two millimetres in thickness.

David

Awesome. I should start recycling these materials whenever I come across it.

The two highly polished crimson flooring panels are ready for the showrooms and today the Austin Seven RN Saloon arrived. This is a very nice 1:43 scale Oxford Diecast model in black and fawn paintwork. The car is a 1932 Austin, so in the 1959 diorama setting this car will be only 27 years old.

David

100_4591.JPG

100_4602.JPG

100_4604.JPG

Yes Pat, the figurines are from Shapeways Printle Shop, which I have found to be a good supplier of nice accurate figures in both 1:24 scale and 1:43 scale. The reason the floor surface appears to be so highly polished is because I have used Yacht Varnish, and this is my favoured method of producing a high gloss shine. Previously I have even coated a Rolls-Royce Phantom I diecast 1:24 and a Rolls-Royce Phantom III diecast 1:24 with yacht varnish, over Revell Aqua Colour acrylic paint which has a matt finish when dry. Having seen photos of polished red flooring in showrooms I decided I wanted Hooper's to have the best!

David

The front and side walls of the Hooper building are now hot glued together, and a couple of additional supporting posts have been put in place, near to the roof and also the ground floor. These photos show each floor level being assembled, along with their supporting posts at the far corner. Here are a few test shots that include a lighting experiment in the early stages and a few of the 1:43 scale diecast model cars. One of the Shapeways Printle Shop figures is standing at the main entrance door and has yet to be fully painted. Work is now in progress to prepare the bay window structure and the pavements and streets will be textured and painted quite soon.

David

100_4727.JPG

100_4769.JPG

100_4775.JPG

100_4783.JPG

100_4784.JPG

100_4790.JPG

100_4804.JPG

100_4808.JPG

100_4814.JPG

100_4825.JPG

Thanks Gary, Yordan and Pat...... those little lights are going to be an interesting feature of the 1:43 scale Hooper building Gary, and as you can see from the photos , I might be able to scratch build a street lamp and tape one of the warm white LED's to the top of the lamp post.

Pat.... the Hooper & Co workshops were in Acton, which is 6 miles to the West of London city centre, and this was an area famous for industrial sites with names like Renault, Vandervell, Wilkinson Sword as well as Rolls-Royce. The building on St James's Street in London SW1 was used primarily for showrooms and offices.

David

Much work has been done with the construction of the bay window structure for the 1:43 scale building, and today this was assembled at the front of the Hooper building. Foamboard has been used, also four wooden posts and balsa wood. The joints where the boards don't meet will have filler applied shortly, and then I can add sign writing, textured white gesso paint and six individual window panes. The L-shaped paving can slide under the ground floor bay window, just like the 1:24 scale building, so the whole building can be removed from the baseboard for transportation. Alongside the smallest model car, which is the 1932 Austin 7 RN Saloon, you can see the largest model car which is the 1928 Daimler Double-Six King George V Brougham. Following the arrival of some excellent warm white LED lighting, I have ordered four street lamps in 1:43 scale O-gauge, and also eight bicycles from the same model railway supplier. The roof will be hot glued to the building very shortly, and the AK Asphalt textured material will be applied to the streets, once the zebra crossing has been put in place. Thanks for looking at my work in progress, which I am enjoying immensely.

David

100_4913.JPG

100_4915.JPG

100_4935.JPG

100_4937.JPG

100_4943.JPG

100_4950.JPG

100_4956.JPG

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Much work has been done with the construction of the bay window structure for the 1:43 scale building, and today this was assembled at the front of the Hooper building. Foamboard has been used, also four wooden posts and balsa wood. The joints where the boards don't meet will have filler applied shortly, and then I can add sign writing, textured white gesso paint and six individual window panes. The L-shaped paving can slide under the ground floor bay window, just like the 1:24 scale building, so the whole building can be removed from the baseboard for transportation. Alongside the smallest model car, which is the 1932 Austin 7 RN Saloon, you can see the largest model car which is the 1928 Daimler Double-Six King George V Brougham. Following the arrival of some excellent warm white LED lighting, I have ordered four street lamps in 1:43 scale O-gauge, and also eight bicycles from the same model railway supplier. The roof will be hot glued to the building very shortly, and the AK Asphalt textured material will be applied to the streets, once the zebra crossing has been put in place. Thanks for looking at my work in progress, which I am enjoying immensely.

David

100_4913.JPG

100_4915.JPG

100_4935.JPG

100_4937.JPG

100_4943.JPG

100_4950.JPG

100_4956.JPG

I was wondering...have you ever displayed your work in a show? Your attention to detail is extraordinary. Amazing work!!!

Yes Yordan, the 1:24 scale Hooper & Co (Coachbuilders) Limited 1958 diorama was exhibited for three days at an International event in England during June 2018. This was the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club Annual Rally, which is held at Burghley House in Stamford and it is the biggest gathering of Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars from all over the world. The event attracts over 2,000 of the finest motor cars dating right back to the 1920's, and even the original Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost from 1907. My diorama was on show in the largest marquee where the The Hunt House have their headquarters, so this was a prime location for my very first exhibit. I am waiting for confirmation that my double diorama is to be booked into this year's event at the same location. My intention is to display the 1:43 scale diorama that is currently under construction directly alongside the larger 1:24 scale model, side by side.

David

4 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Yes Yordan, the 1:24 scale Hooper & Co (Coachbuilders) Limited 1958 diorama was exhibited for three days at an International event in England during June 2018. This was the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club Annual Rally, which is held at Burghley House in Stamford and it is the biggest gathering of Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars from all over the world. The event attracts over 2,000 of the finest motor cars dating right back to the 1920's, and even the original Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost from 1907. My diorama was on show in the largest marquee where the The Hunt House have their headquarters, so this was a prime location for my very first exhibit. I am waiting for confirmation that my double diorama is to be booked into this year's event at the same location. My intention is to display the 1:43 scale diorama that is currently under construction directly alongside the larger 1:24 scale model, side by side.

David

Oh Wow. Very impressive !!! Keep it up.

Fabricating the six window panels and fitting them into the bay window frame structure turned out to be quite difficult, as I expected it to be. Anyway, the windows are in place. The Royal crest has been added to the top of the upper bay window board and this will look better once the textured white acrylic gesso blends in around the crest and the filled joints. Some of these photos show the King George V Daimler Double-Six from inside the showrooms of the building. The figure of the man standing in front of the bay window gives some idea of the size and proportions of the structure.

David

100_5061.JPG

100_5062.JPG

100_5095.JPG

100_5108.JPG

100_5129.JPG

100_5130.JPG

20 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Fabricating the six window panels and fitting them into the bay window frame structure turned out to be quite difficult, as I expected it to be. Anyway, the windows are in place. The Royal crest has been added to the top of the upper bay window board and this will look better once the textured white acrylic gesso blends in around the crest and the filled joints. Some of these photos show the King George V Daimler Double-Six from inside the showrooms of the building. The figure of the man standing in front of the bay window gives some idea of the size and proportions of the structure.

David

100_5061.JPG

100_5062.JPG

100_5095.JPG

100_5108.JPG

100_5129.JPG

100_5130.JPG

Looking great, David. The windows are certainly a challenge. I can relate, since I have been working on my two windows for the past two days. I had to dip the strips that go on the arches in water, for about 30 minutes, to be able to bend them. Then I had to wait for it to dry while I clamped it to a piece  of wood with the same shape. I can only imagine building all those windows you have. Outstanding job.

Gary and Pat..... thank you for the encouraging comments, which are always motivating and very welcome. As well as the ongoing work to the bay window structure, I have some O-gauge station platform lamps that will make very nice street lamps and they can be wired up with the LED lighting Gary. Also, I have some O-gauge bicycles that should paint up nicely if I can see what I am doing, not to mention a very steady hand! The sage green 1953 Ford Popular is a 1:43 scale Corgi diecast and in a couple of days a 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sedanca de Ville will be arriving. The Phantom is a yellow and black motor car as featured in the James Bond ' Goldfinger ' film ( movie ), but it could also be the the car that was featured in ' The Yellow Rolls-Royce ' movie that was filmed at the Hooper & Co showroom around the year of my scale model building.

David

100_5179.JPG

100_5181.JPG

100_5159.JPG

The bay window structure has all the sign writing done, the filler is sanded down and the white acrylic gesso has been applied. Nine white stripes for the zebra crossing have been marked out and painted on Bennet Street, ready to be blanked off for the laying down of asphalt. The dimensions of the two belisha beacons have been calculated and these will be scratch built shortly. The latest addition to the collection of 1:43 scale motor cars has arrived.... this 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sedanca de Ville, finished in yellow and black and produced as a model by Eaglemoss. The registration plate ( license plate ) will have to be changed, as AU1 belonged to the villain of the 1964 James Bond movie ' Goldfinger '.

David

100_5233.JPG

100_5271.JPG

100_5274.JPG