Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Cuda Gill Vents

They are recessed, but I think the trim rings project out ever so slightly. I think the green fender is more accurate. It has been a long time since I have had my hands on one though.

A better may to explain it is, I think the vents and trim rings are smaller than the recess/hole so you can see the recess around the trim ring.

Edited by Xingu

The vents are just under 2 inches thick top to bottom. Most of that sticks thru holes in the fender leaving only maybe an 1/8" or so above the fender. The inner pocket of the vent is actually below the surface of the fender, making the impression they are functional, ( they were never functional )

http://www.tonysparts.com/Images/newproducts/NP-CudaFenderGills.jpg

https://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/images/ProductImg/M/MM1850B.JPG

Image result for 1971 cuda fender

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2016/05/10-1971-plymouth-hemi-barracuda-fender-gills.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Are the vents recessed in to the fender or do they project out?

Image result for 71 cuda gillsImage result for 71 cuda gills

These look like the same vents on different cars and as others have pointed out they are recessed into the fender. The vents differ from year model to year model. Depending on how perfect they must be you might search some MoPar sites for more detailed information. The only reason I even know this much is that I sometimes watch Grave Yard Cars and the M.C. covered this very subject on a car they were working on. While more than a little arrogant and full of himself he does seem to know about everything and every detail on MoPars from that era.  

The vents were only available for one year and one model, the 1971 "Cuda, all other models of that year had just a plain fender with no gills. 

I am a die hard MOPAR guy, and am glad to see a show dedicated to those cars after watching so many other ones building up Mustangs and Camaros all the time! The way he acts on tv can be annoying to watch, but I have had a couple friends meet him in real life, they said he is a great guy and very helpful...what you see on tv is not what he is actually like! I would love to go down and see the shop in person...that yard of cars is drool worthy!!

The vents were only available for one year and one model, the 1971 "Cuda, all other models of that year had just a plain fender with no gills. 

I am a die hard MOPAR guy, and am glad to see a show dedicated to those cars after watching so many other ones building up Mustangs and Camaros all the time! The way he acts on tv can be annoying to watch, but I have had a couple friends meet him in real life, they said he is a great guy and very helpful...what you see on tv is not what he is actually like! I would love to go down and see the shop in person...that yard of cars is drool worthy!!

Good to know, as much as I like the show its self his actions are really hard to watch. I'm afraid what happens all to often in the automotive centric programs is that the director/writers want a lot of drama and for someone who watches because they enjoy automobiles in general it just gets frustrated the way they make the actors carry on for no good reason.

Good to know, as much as I like the show its self his actions are really hard to watch. I'm afraid what happens all to often in the automotive centric programs is that the director/writers want a lot of drama and for someone who watches because they enjoy automobiles in general it just gets frustrated the way they make the actors carry on for no good reason.

same here.

If he didn't act like an idiot. I mighty watch it more if I had the time. 

Anyone used the MCG '71 Cuda PE set?  How well do the gill surrounds fit?

Image result for MCG 71 cuda set

I imagine they're 1/24, so 4% too big for the 1/25 conversion you're doing. Best way to get those gills into your body would prolly be to cut a section out of a Monogram body and graft them into your Revell body. They'll still be 4% too big, but that MIGHT not be noticeable.

I just did a Monogram '71 and I did that gill trim with a Silver Sharpie and it came out looking great. I really doubt that foil would have looked any better.

Of course, the EASIEST way to do your '71 would just be do a straight Barracuda. But that idea might not appeal to you.

I imagine they're 1/24, so 4% too big for the 1/25 conversion you're doing. Best way to get those gills into your body would prolly be to cut a section out of a Monogram body and graft them into your Revell body. They'll still be 4% too big, but that MIGHT not be noticeable.

I just did a Monogram '71 and I did that gill trim with a Silver Sharpie and it came out looking great. I really doubt that foil would have looked any better.

Of course, the EASIEST way to do your '71 would just be do a straight Barracuda. But that idea might not appeal to you.

Yea the current plan is to graft in the 1/24 gills so the PE would fit, I have already ordered the set.  I did a rubbing over tracing paper of the 1/24 gills and taped it to the 1/25 scale body and they will work.  Blending them into the body without damaging the raised trim is the challenge.

And yes also considering leaving it as a base model Barracuda which as you know didn't have the gills.

Edited by afx