Model Cars Magazine Forum

building drag cars help?

Chris if you look at the threads it the drag racing section you will pick up tips along the way. Take some time and read through them and  look in the tips and how to sections also. Good luck and keep plugging along. They all don't look like a million bucks every time. Start slow and add as you get better. 

Welcome to the site. As 1930fordpickup suggested check out the drag  racing section. You should also check out the workbench & tips, tricks & techniques sections. You will find info in these & other sections that will give you insight to building better models. I am constantly learning new & better ways to improve my model building skills. As you look thru the site you will see all levels of modelers from beginners to those that build amazing, unbelievable models. The best thing about this site is that there is always members here to answer questions, offer encouragement, advise & suggestions. You only need to ask.

Welcome aboard!

And don't just look at models. In order to authentically replicate a race motor of any kind you need to know what the real motors look like. Subscribe to a few car magazines and look on parts sites like Summit and Jegs. The real key to a good model is scale. Getting the parts scaled correctly is 90% of the job. Wires, fittings, hoses and tubing sizes are some of the areas where scale is important. A full size ignition wire is 3/8ths to 1/2" inch in diameter. A model ignition wire that is any bigger then .020 in diameter is too big.

I built this BBC in 1989. There is well over 100 hours into building it (just the engine) and there isn't a lot of parts that aren't to scale. :)

74mybewhogmotor-vi.jpg

I'd suggest you decide first what era you'd like to model.If it's the 60's, Google 60's drag cars, read the HAMB and George Klass Remembers.

If it's modern cars, research those. Different eras are vastly different in basic cars, classes, engines, tires, equipment etc. "Drag cars" covers a lot of territory. What kind of drag cars?

If you want accuracy, first decide what you want to accomplish, then study.

My two cents.

Edited by GaryR
grammar LOl

I'd suggest you decide first what era you'd like to model.If it's the 60's, Google 60's drag cars, read the HAMB and George Klass Remembers.

If it's modern cars, research those. Different eras are vastly different in basic cars, classes, engines, tires, equipment etc. "Drag cars" covers a lot of territory. What kind of drag cars?

If you want accuracy, first decide what you want to accomplish, then study.

My two cents.

Agreed,

Drag cars from 1966 are vastly different than drag cars from 2016