Model Cars Magazine Forum

In my opinion, it appears to be a little tall. That said, if you are building a monster motor street truck with a tall intake, then that might be what you need to clear it. I have always thought smaller cowl hoods looked better, especially if it is a street truck.

In my opinion, it appears to be a little tall. That said, if you are building a monster motor street truck with a tall intake, then that might be what you need to clear it. I have always thought smaller cowl hoods looked better, especially if it is a street truck.

Thanks Mike. That is my exact thought as well. The shorter cowl hoods look much better on a street truck.  I will do a bit more research and find one. The fit on the above hood is nice, just a bit tall. I had intentions of running a GM LS motor, and maybe a turbo setup so no huge hood clearance needed. 

As Mikemodeler mentioned the Tall hood looks like the 1:1 4" or 6" hood offered in fiberglass. The one you usually see is what they refer to as the 2" hood. Either way they only real problem I see is with the area between the back edge of the cowl hood and the windshield. In your picture the hood appears to be too close to the windshield.  I think if you look at some pictures of say '69 Camaros with the factory cowl induction hood you'll have a better idea of just how it should work. Remember this hood was designed by Chevrolet when it was competing in the SCCA Trans Am series and that is they main reason for it. It was so well received by car guys that they started offering on other models, but the original Z-28 hood was designed to draw the maximum air from the air build up at the base of the windshield.     

As Mikemodeler mentioned the Tall hood looks like the 1:1 4" or 6" hood offered in fiberglass. The one you usually see is what they refer to as the 2" hood. Either way they only real problem I see is with the area between the back edge of the cowl hood and the windshield. In your picture the hood appears to be too close to the windshield.  I think if you look at some pictures of say '69 Camaros with the factory cowl induction hood you'll have a better idea of just how it should work. Remember this hood was designed by Chevrolet when it was competing in the SCCA Trans Am series and that is they main reason for it. It was so well received by car guys that they started offering on other models, but the original Z-28 hood was designed to draw the maximum air from the air build up at the base of the windshield.     

Thanks Espo, I am on the hunt for a 2" hood currently. The Camaro i am working on has the 2" hood and it looks much better. You are correct, if this was a 1:1, the hood would be lift off only as it could not tilt back.

Thanks Espo, I am on the hunt for a 2" hood currently. The Camaro i am working on has the 2" hood and it looks much better. You are correct, if this was a 1:1, the hood would be lift off only as it could not tilt back.

Technically, that is a bit misleading.

Most actual hood hinges move the hood forward and up since they usually are a complex hinge and not just a single pivot point.

The only kit I have seen that includes a regular automotive style hood hinge is the Trumpeter Pontiac Bonneville and most builders report them as problematic to get working properly.

Technically, that is a bit misleading.

Most actual hood hinges move the hood forward and up since they usually are a complex hinge and not just a single pivot point.

The only kit I have seen that includes a regular automotive style hood hinge is the Trumpeter Pontiac Bonneville and most builders report them as problematic to get working properly.

Thanks Blunc, I have to agree with you on the hood hinge geometry. I was just curios if astheticly the hood scoop looked too large. I have ordered a new hood that is stock without a scoop. 

That type of hood scoop doesn't really fit mildly customized street trucks (my opinion), something from a sixties Stingray might look good or cowl induction style like seventy Chevelle L88 might be worth looking at, depends on your taste.

That type of hood scoop doesn't really fit mildly customized street trucks (my opinion), something from a sixties Stingray might look good or cowl induction style like seventy Chevelle L88 might be worth looking at, depends on your taste.

I think you are right. I purchased the cowl hood not knowing it was so tall. The 67-68 stock hood is perfect in my opinion. I paid through the nose for the below hood, but its the only stock 67-68 hood I could find. I think it will look much better.

Truck_hood.thumb.jpg.25ea53a1cc9b7533278

Edited by kmc3420

I think you are right. I purchased the cowl hood not knowing it was so tall. The 67-68 stock hood is perfect in my opinion. I paid through the nose for the below hood, but its the only stock 67-68 hood I could find. I think it will look much better.

Truck_hood.thumb.jpg.25ea53a1cc9b7533278

You could have done what I did and files the hood of the '72 hood back. 

Not many people know it but there's enough plastic in the front part of those hoods to easily backdate them to '67/'68 spec with just a file and some sandpaper. 

I think when AMT and MPC changed the hood from '68 to '69 they may have just added material to the front and built it out, not changing the inside part of the mold.

IMG 2201

Edited by Can-Con

You could have done what I did and files the hood of the '72 hood back. 

Not many people know it but there's enough plastic in the front part of those hoods to easily backdate them to '67/'68 spec with just a file and some sandpaper. 

I think when AMT and MPC changed the hood from '68 to '69 they may have just added material to the front and built it out, not changing the inside part of the mold.

IMG 2201

Thanks Steve, that is a brilliant idea, not sure why that did not come to mind for me. I have looked over your build probably a dozen times, great job. I am going to send you a PM with a few more questions if you dont mind.