Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned

Taxdude

The suspension's looking dialed! I imagine you'll be building some ends on the shocks?

Bernard--the Divcos are meant to fit Monogram '41 Lincoln or MPC '32 Chrysler. They won't print out as nice as Modelhaus parts though! I have a set in the mail, looking forward to seeing how they look.

Got some time to sort out the front suspension.  

Front and rear shocks are done all the way around. 

New lower shock mounts on the front axle

The kit front shock and headlight mounts have been thinned down as they are too thick.  Also added an extra lightening hole.

Cowl side steering arm and drag arm.

Rear end axle shock mounts had been completed and installed.

Next step is to make some motors mounts and maybe a motor too.

20171202_170345.jpg.6fb1245ea82bc062c70fa0a5c14105a1.jpg

20171202_170941.jpg

20171202_171004.jpg

20171202_171240.jpg

20171202_171319.jpg

20171202_171331.jpg

20171202_172753.jpg

20171202_172831.jpg

You have some beautiful craftsmanship going on here, Fred!!!  I'm looking forward to seeing more!!!  You have got yourself a true scale hot rod going on and it's going to be gorgeous when you're finished!!!????????

5 hours ago, RAT-T said:

FRED, AWESOME DETAIL WORK. WHAT DO YOU USE TO GLUE THE BRASS TO PLASTIC, CA OR EPOXY?

For brass to plastic I always use 5 minute epoxy for two reasons.

1-I like to work time of the epoxy. Especially when you have to make sure parts are in alignment. CA just kicks to fast.

2-I find that CA is much to brittle.  Last thing you need is for two parts to pop apart.

Also when gluing brass I score the mating surfaces in to give the glue something to grip to.

11 hours ago, geewhiz said:

You have some beautiful craftsmanship going on here, Fred!!!  I'm looking forward to seeing more!!!  You have got yourself a true scale hot rod going on and it's going to be gorgeous when you're finished!!!????????

Many thanks.   My new mantra is "It is better to look scale than to be scale"

To many times you see an engine compartment that has all scale hoses and line.  But taken as a whole it looks toy like.  If you go a bit smaller the the whole looks better. 

It's nice to see Fred's work finally see the attention it so richly deserves. 

Among many fine model builds in his collection, he put together what is (at least as far as I have seen) the pre-eminent assembly/build/detail of one of the recent Revell Midget kits.  

Believe me when I say, as good as this looks in this pix, it looks even better in person. 

GO FRED!!!! 

Tim  

Well there's an endorsement if I ever heard one :D

If I wasn't on board before (and I was!), then those lower front shock mounts would have convinced me. Darn nice work! I once bent up some F1 truck-style front shock mounts for a hot rod project, then considered how fiddly they'd be to securely mount, and decided against it. After seeing this, I'm wondering if I should try again. Very inspiring stuff!

On 12/3/2017 at 12:18 PM, tim boyd said:

Among many fine model builds in his collection, he put together what is (at least as far as I have seen) the pre-eminent assembly/build/detail of one of the recent Revell Midget kits.  

That's something I would love to see!

-Art

On December 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Taxdude said:

Many thanks.   My new mantra is "It is better to look scale than to be scale"

To many times you see an engine compartment that has all scale hoses and line.  But taken as a whole it looks toy like.  If you go a bit smaller the the whole looks better. 

I agree, Fred, that looking scale is much better than being scale.  I also believe that less is more in some cases, especially for builders like me who build at a snails pace and eyesight is not what it used to be when trying to work with tiny details.  I would really enjoy seeing pics of the midget that Tim referred to.  Is it on this forum or do you have a photo site that's accessible???  Thanks, gb ?

Edited by geewhiz

15 hours ago, Joca said:

Hi Chris. Amazing work and very fine details. If you don't mind I would like to ask you something: I don't see glue marks in your build, how do you do this? Thank you.

With glue you need very little.  Also after gluing or soldering I go back and sand off any excess.   

In order of use I go with tamiya liquid cement, 5 minute epoxy and CA last.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:18 PM, tim boyd said:

It's nice to see Fred's work finally see the attention it so richly deserves. 

Believe me when I say, as good as this looks in this pix, it looks even better in person. 

GO FRED!!!! 

Tim  

Thanks Tim

1 hour ago, geewhiz said:

I agree, Fred, that looking scale is much better than being scale.  I also believe that lass is more in some cases, especially for builders like me who build at a snails pace and eyesight is not what it used to be when trying to work with tiny details.  I would really enjoy seeing pics of the midget that Tim referred to.  Is it on this forum or do you have a photo site that's accessible???  Thanks, gb ?

I'll try and put some up in the underglass this coming weekend.

My builds are timed not by days or months.  But by the the changing of geological eras.

2 hours ago, Taxdude said:

I'll try and put some up in the underglass this coming weekend.

My builds are timed not by days or months.  But by the the changing of geological eras.

No rush, whenever you've got the time.  I understand the building by geological changes as its been about three or four years since I've finished anything...??

8 hours ago, Taxdude said:

With glue you need very little.  Also after gluing or soldering I go back and sand off any excess.   

In order of use I go with tamiya liquid cement, 5 minute epoxy and CA last.

Thank you for the infos Fred. In my previous post I call you Chris, my sincere apologies for my fault. 

Best regards.

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- Update 12-19-17 Motor mounts and Intake

Time, the final frontier or lack thereof.

Had some time again to work on the coupe.  Build the motor mounts., rebuilt the motor mounts a bit smaller, launched a new better motor mount into the modeling unknowns, built one more.  

20171204_213433.jpg

Looks like  I'm going to have to order shorter bolts

20171214_072624.jpg

I also built a one-off intake.  To convert the 2 barrel intake to one that could take two Stromberg 97's

20171219_073136 (1).jpg

20171219_073220 (1).jpg

And a motor mount picture out of order.

20171214_072806.jpg

Edited by Taxdude

• Taxdude changed the title to Model A Coupe (Quick build gone wrong)- All Done, just took a bit longer than planned