Model Cars Magazine Forum

Loadstar Brush Truck

Here we go with some detailing.  With the body complete now it's on to the stuff that makes the truck work.  This rig was updated a few years ago with a new poly tank, foam system and new pump.  While these are certainly not in keeping with the age of the IH, it works.  These rigs get heavy use from time to time and then sit idle for long periods of time, being taken out only to keep things working properly.  So we have a Honda V-twin engine powering a Hale centrifugal pump.  Class A foam is now a routine feature for fighting natural cover fires.  It acts as a wetting agent, reducing the amount of water it takes to put the fire out.  Poly tanks also are a great feature in that they reduce weight and don't rust out.  So here is where we are today.

093.thumb.JPG.9c466ca21bf09a5c8b2323c9e1153821.JPG

Control Panel and water and foam covers on top of the tank

094.thumb.JPG.4880b0b95d5e0f2f902fb842675e6a71.JPG

Pump on the rear step with just the beginning of all of the plumbing done.

096.thumb.JPG.d85436450628d2d3441f30ad686ce71d.JPG

The winch cable is now secure with a clasp and hook.

098.thumb.JPG.1d72869f1bc65d3248a979923cae7cfb.JPG

New NFPA regulations require all firefighters to be seated with responding to an alarm.  They obviously never rode a brushbreaker!  But the crew can at least enjoy the ride getting there.

101.thumb.JPG.352e7daa71e39452d558e9837ee087ac.JPG

The  Honda engine and Hale pump.102.thumb.JPG.b0aec94d7c1208879dc7c2d6a492fb4e.JPG

And the back side.  The pipe ends will eventually have other plumbing attached.  We are just not there yet.

Charles, you're creating another beauty here! Really nice detail work  (and painting) on the engine/pump. Is that detail part of a kit or is that all scratch? 

By the looks of it, you must be on the home stretch with this. 

Mike 

36 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Looking great and the scratch built items continue to amaze me! 

Two questions- 1. With the mirrors not mounted on the doors, will they interfere with the opening of the door?  2. What are the round discs on the front wheels?

Hi, Mike:  No the mirrors do not interfere with opening the doors.  In over the road use they can swing out to a more typical location.  When in the woods the mirrors would be pulled in to keep them from being knocked off.

I'm pretty sure the front end on this rig is from Howe-Coleman.  It is typical of Coleman front ends to have a large round disk to cover all of the mechanical stuff that goes on inside the hub.  Originally just Coleman (I built a 1929 Coleman that has front hubs), they linked up with Howe and make a lot of front wheel drive stuff that you even see on airport tugs of the 50's and 60's.  Here's the '29 Coleman.

150.jpg.033d4ece79eebfae4b434f44c797e4d4.jpg

We are closing in on the last few details that will finish this build.  Almost ready to fight some fire!

Siren is turned aluminum.  Lettering is taken from photos of the real truck, re-created on my computer, downsized and printed on the ALPS printer.  The hose is sewing elastic that was stained with some acrylic tan watered down.  Couplings are aluminum tubing.  so are the gate valve handles.  Still to go are two stutter horns for the front bumper, some led lights, hand tools and the license plates.  

105.thumb.JPG.ec513b50a2e235199a7f8989ac00b080.JPG106.thumb.JPG.62054d193a252309d721b8567eefc763.JPG107.thumb.JPG.7c1ef932a0d31df43ab684208eff92d6.JPG108.thumb.JPG.3010468b4e96a1924191b1188ba1a84d.JPG109.thumb.JPG.cf15fa2ceab7d8cc542e9b19538f5449.JPG

Been following this build and have been in complete awe as each step in the process gets more impressive....building to a stunning finished model!  You obviously make a plan and stick to that plan while completing a project.  I can't find a word that adequately describes this model, it is without a doubt the most impressive model I have ever seen.  Kudos to you sir!

2 hours ago, modelercarl said:

Been following this build and have been in complete awe as each step in the process gets more impressive....building to a stunning finished model!  You obviously make a plan and stick to that plan while completing a project.  I can't find a word that adequately describes this model, it is without a doubt the most impressive model I have ever seen.  Kudos to you sir!

I sort of have a plan for any build but a lot of it is the way something might be made on an assembly line.  Engine and chassis first, next the cab and finally the body and details.  After so many scratch building projects it sort of is a repeat of what has been done before.  

Many thanks for all of the kind comments.  I'll post the final photos in the display section once the little missing details are completed.

3 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Great job, Charlie!  Overall, it's really a very colourful subject, what with the contrast between the black and red, and then the (primarily)yellow accents provided by the stripes and hoses.  Very impressive!

Yes it is a colorful model!  I didn't plan it that way, just the way the real one is.  There's even a touch of green wiring on the pump engine but you really have to look to find it!:)

• 4 weeks later...