Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass

Dann Tier

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I just received this kit yesterday. I looked it over at this year's NNL West and was impressed by it's complexity and detail. I'm a longtime traditional hot rod and drag racing builder, but with a thorough background in all things sports car and road racing. Last year I decided I was in a rut and that was it was time to break out. I built a funky AMT Ferrari 205 GT SWB and it worked well as a bridge to this style of project. I think I managed to un-funk it somewhat... The Pagani was specifically acquired because it will raise the bar Way High. I have several other projects to build first in this style, some 60's era and some moderns, but all kits engineered in this style, which is so very different for a inveterate kit-basher like me. I'm disappointed to hear that there are fit issues that may require that the the panels be glued in place, either open or shut, so I'm especially interested in thios aspect. Also, your color choices are important to me, since this is a gap in my knowledge in this subject area. I'm a Duplicolor user, too, so I'm interested in some of your strategies, like using their metallic black for carbon fiber. Whether I build the Pagani tolthis level of detail or not, I don't think I could ask for a more ideal w.i.p. to put me in the ballpark to tackle a project of this magnitude.

2 hours ago, superbike-shaun said:

hey BEN FROM right here lol excellent progress,,, thought I might mention in the pic that has all of your front end goodies,brakes front subf on the lower "A" arms, threre are a cpuple of sink marks facing  directly up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, usually what I will do im not an Expert LOL, is try to approximate the size of the diameter. and hole in one that baby!,, thanks lookin great

I wasn't worried about those, once the wheels & tyres are on with the rest of it, you wont even see them....

2 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I just received this kit yesterday. I looked it over at this year's NNL West and was impressed by it's complexity and detail. I'm a longtime traditional hot rod and drag racing builder, but with a thorough background in all things sports car and road racing. Last year I decided I was in a rut and that was it was time to break out. I built a funky AMT Ferrari 205 GT SWB and it worked well as a bridge to this style of project. I think I managed to un-funk it somewhat... The Pagani was specifically acquired because it will raise the bar Way High. I have several other projects to build first in this style, some 60's era and some moderns, but all kits engineered in this style, which is so very different for a inveterate kit-basher like me. I'm disappointed to hear that there are fit issues that may require that the the panels be glued in place, either open or shut, so I'm especially interested in thios aspect. Also, your color choices are important to me, since this is a gap in my knowledge in this subject area. I'm a Duplicolor user, too, so I'm interested in some of your strategies, like using their metallic black for carbon fiber. Whether I build the Pagani tolthis level of detail or not, I don't think I could ask for a more ideal w.i.p. to put me in the ballpark to tackle a project of this magnitude.

Thanks, Bernard!, I am 99.9% sure that Everything will fit, AND open & close properly!

39 minutes ago, maltsr said:

Excellent work and detailing so far Dann, I'm tempted to get a second kit and follow your lead.

Thanks, Paul!......why not try it again?!.....this kit is outstanding, but it has some rather stupid issues, that have caused people to stay away.

just finished a couple of scratchbuilt items; the brake fluid bottle, and the silver canister-thing on the drivers side of the front suspension assembly (I have no clue what it is). In a few minutes, I will be back at the bench to scratchbuild the washer fluid, and coolant bottles in the very center of the unit.

DSCF5359.JPG

DSCF5360.JPG

33 minutes ago, Lee Yoder said:

Could the silver canister be a hydraulic fluid reservoir for the suspension?  

Later,

Lee

I'm not sure, there is a thick cable that has a short ribbed section that attaches to the top of it, and goes straight into the "foot wall" of the interior tub (just above where the pedals are). :)

Edited by Dann Tier

Wonderful details so far, this is an amazing kit, although I haven't started it yet. My friend has and it's slow going, so many tiny parts and of course all different colors. Use glue sparingly, ha ha, that's one of my problems, always use a bit too much glue, even tiny amounts can be too much for some of these tiny pieces! You're doing a fine job of this dream car, keep going! And keep posting!!

17 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Wonderful details so far, this is an amazing kit, although I haven't started it yet. My friend has and it's slow going, so many tiny parts and of course all different colors. Use glue sparingly, ha ha, that's one of my problems, always use a bit too much glue, even tiny amounts can be too much for some of these tiny pieces! You're doing a fine job of this dream car, keep going! And keep posting!!

Thanks a lot!!, I will....gonna try to finish up the floormats today, and paint them, and the remaining interior parts!

Got my floormats scratchbuilt today!....next step is to paint them, and the other scratchbuilt items I've recently made. After that, I will be doing my final assembly of the interior.  Note; if anyone would be interested in a set of these stencils, just let me know...I save ALL the stencils I make to all of my builds in case I ever want to build the same thing again......makes life WAAAAAY easier.  Forgot to tell you, I find that the Tamiya Extra thin Quick set glue works the best for this project. Just dry fit the part down, then hold it there while you apply the glue.....no need to sweat-it not being in the right place.

DSCF5371.JPG

DSCF5373.JPG

DSCF5372.JPG

DSCF5374.JPG

DSCF5375.JPG

DSCF5376.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

I was about to paint my scratchbuilt items, then I noticed that my floormats on the passenger side were wrong. According to my reference photos, there is less foot room. In fact, the kits interior tub on the passenger side is entirely the wrong shape in the foot-well! I'm glad I caught it, even though it set my painting and assembly back......it was an easy fix, and the new stencils will be included in the set.

DSCF5423.JPG

DSCF5424.JPG

DSCF5426.JPG

DSCF5425.JPG

• Dann Tier changed the title to Fully detailed Pagani Huayra..Under Glass