Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buying online or brick and morter stores

A try to spend my money locally if I can. This is true of most everything I buy including models. The exceptions have been a couple of very fine Casters listed here for parts that I just couldn't get from the local Hobby Shop. The local yearly Show & Swap Meet is the perfect source for an old off beat model I should want.  

My LFS is well stocked on kits, not much on aftermarket stuff, but everything is list price. I buy all my Evergreen from them and got a couple of deals on some old resin bodies. I have two Hobby Lobbys near me and I get new kits and casting supplies with coupons. Aftermarket is all online. Most of the kits in my stash are from flea markets and shows.

Edited by Psychographic

Brick and Mortar mostly..!!     I still enjoy going to the hobby shop to hang out and get new releases, paint and tools etc.  They are all about an hour from my house. And i really don't mind the drive. There are 3 of them still, that I like.            Ma & Pa stores ....( I still try to visit one , once a week or so )   not the Hobby chain stores. Not that I don't like the chain stores.... I just like the Ma & Pa stores better..!  I feel I'm blessed that I have a choice...!  I know some of you don't have a choice.   For older kits I hit the Model Car Show swap meets and flea markets..  

I like to window shop on E-Bay and occasionally I'll will pick up an old kit that catches my fancy..!

I buy everything I can from our local one-and-only hobby shop, even if it means spending a few bucks more. It's a small operation and he's been threatening to retire for over a year, so I do my best to pad his RRSP. :) I ran a brick and mortar business for close to a decade and have been self-employed for 15 years, so I appreciate how tough it is to stay afloat. When he's gone... :(

We've got a Hobby Lobby across the border in Fort Gratiot, Michigan, and they keep a good stock, so that's my second go-to if the local guy can't get something.

I have bought online from  places like Fireball and Harts Parts, etc., but shipping to Canada can be horrendous these days. Only if I absolutely cannot get something local or semi-local will I look online. I'm one of those people that like to have the purchase in my hands as I pay for it...

E-Bay seems to be a big hassle nowadays, at least to me.