Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo 'Alfetta' 1950

PatW

There are a number of kits that depict the 1950's Alfa's and this is the SMER version of the 'Alfetta'.

Outside the period build garage...............

photo1-th.jpg

photo2-th.jpg

photo3-th.jpg

photo4-th.jpg

Although the kit has been on my shelves for a few years and the decals have 'yellowed' I still used them for a period effect.

Very nicely done Patrick, and it's good to see a more unusual kit being built. I have an interest in 1950's British cars, but so far my builds haven't included race cars, but that may change at some point. I keep seeing older race cars on Ebay in 1:24 scale and I usually stop to look them over. You are fine with using the yellowed decals which will add to the period feel of this model car. Thanks for showing the end result on here.

David

Thanks David. I live just 5 miles from the Silverstone Circuit, so on Classic/Vintage racedays, which there are quite a few throughout the year. I see in this era 30 or 40 on the grid at once, Alfa's, Maserati's, Ferrari's and a who;e host of British period racing cars, lovingly restored and raced at full pelt! The sound of the open exhausts is deafening! 

Now you mention it Patrick.... my nearest motor racing circuit is Mallory Park, and I used to go there most Sundays for many years when I was in my twenties ( 64 now ). I have been meaning to find out if there are any Classic/Vintage racedays at Mallory Park, although las time I looked it was almost entirely motor cycle racing. As you know, it's the sound of the exhaust and the smell of the oil.....

David

• 3 weeks later...

Yes David, the sound and smell bring back many great memories! Plus as I worked/marshalled on the airfield we also had the Popular Flying Club flying in many old/vintage and kit built aircraft, wonderful!

I see there are quite a few 1:24 scale kits on Ebay for the 1950's Alfas, Vanwall, Connaught, Maserati , Ferrari and Talbot Lago. Nearly put in an offer on a Talbot Lago at one point but stopped myself, to remind me that it is British motor cars of the period that I need, and mostly Rolls-Royce ( so not race cars ). Some reports seem to suggest that Heller kits are difficult to assemble, as compared with the likes of Tamiya, Revell and Italeri.

David

On 17/03/2018 at 1:00 AM, Anglia105E said:

Now you mention it Patrick.... my nearest motor racing circuit is Mallory Park, and I used to go there most Sundays for many years when I was in my twenties ( 64 now ). I have been meaning to find out if there are any Classic/Vintage racedays at Mallory Park, although las time I looked it was almost entirely motor cycle racing. As you know, it's the sound of the exhaust and the smell of the oil.....

David

You could check out the Donington Historic Festival May Day weekend:

http://www.doningtonhistoric.com

It's only about 35 minutes drive from Mallory Park according to Google, so should be reasonably accessible for you! And there's a whole lot of the sound and smell of the exhaust and oil going on...

https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Cars/Donington-Classic-Festival

best,

M.

Thanks very much Matt for the info on the historic festival, and Donington is closer to where I live than Mallory Park is, being just South of Nottingham.

More than the attraction of classic cars is the nostalgia attached to the small friendly circuit that is Mallory Park.

The Donington event does look interesting, mind you, and at £25 entrance fee for Saturday or Sunday it is also good value for money.

David

7 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Some reports seem to suggest that Heller kits are difficult to assemble, as compared with the likes of Tamiya, Revell and Italeri.

David

More fiddly, at least.  An old saying:  "Heller never uses 1 part when they can use 5."  At least the instructions are usually clear line drawings that list every part by number and name. 

Their car kits often have clear parts, like side-windows, molded as part of the door panel which is also clear - a masking and painting challenge.  e.g., their Hispano-Suiza K6 kit is a limousine with a partition window between the driver and passenger cabins.  The partition includes some very nice wooden storage cabinets which are also molded in clear. 

I didn't realise the Heller kits use a lot of clear parts, which as you say Mike means you have to mask off areas to paint other areas of the same part!

Now that I have built many kits by Revell, Tamiya, Italeri, Emhar, Minicraft and my first Aoshima kit is arriving soon, I thought I should at least have a go at a Heller kit. The Hispano-Suiza K6 was one of the first kits that I cast my eye over with the intention of purchasing and I keep coming back to the Talbot Lago GP and also the Talbot Lago Record Cabriolet. Although the Cabriolet would fit into my 1950's diorama, I'm not sure if there would have been such a motor car on the roads of London, I may be wrong.

David

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

...I keep coming back to the Talbot Lago GP and also the Talbot Lago Record Cabriolet. Although the Cabriolet would fit into my 1950's diorama, I'm not sure if there would have been such a motor car on the roads of London, I may be wrong.

The GP cars were probably not seen much on the streets...though at least one was fitted with fenders (cycle-style) and campaigned as a sports car.

On the other hand, the Record Cabriolet was almost certainly imported into England by wealthy buyers, as it was primarily intended to be an export model when introduced in 1946.

Tony Lago himself had lived in England for a considerable time, and had friends and connections within the automobile industry, so selling his firm's cars there would be a natural.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I think, based upon what you are saying Bill, I have every intention of acquiring a Talbot Lago Record Cabriolet for my diorama scene, as it all makes sense when you put it like that. It is such a nice looking motor car from that period and there are plenty of kits available for a very reasonable price. I must compliment you on your detailed knowledge of Talbot cars and the company history..... many thanks indeed !

David