Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rods to Hell

Spruslayer

Looking at these old movies it's no wonder Hot Rodding in general had such a bad reputation. The movie companies presented unrealistic situations with really bad acting. By the way does that Corvette sound a lot like an old Jaguar and how do you get tire squeal on dirt surfaces ?     

8 minutes ago, espo said:

How do you get tire squeal on dirt surfaces ?     

As a lifelong country boy who has spent many many miles running on gravel roads, if the gravel roads are well-traveled enough and the dirt is hard enough packed you will get some squealing and even leave black marks on the right road. That dirt can get packed down just as hard as cement sometimes.

Im thinkin about doing the Vette,i thought the same about the sound of the car.

Ill be the first to admit that in my youth the little gang of street rodders  i hung with would do some not safe,un cool stuff.

And yep,ive herd the squall of tires in dirt 

3 hours ago, espo said:

Looking at these old movies it's no wonder Hot Rodding in general had such a bad reputation. The movie companies presented unrealistic situations with really bad acting. By the way does that Corvette sound a lot like an old Jaguar and how do you get tire squeal on dirt surfaces ?     

The 'Vette must have been a theft recovery or a total, because it had a six-cylinder engine in it.  It can be seen at the end of the movie after it flips over.  The engine is never shown during the movie, as in showing the car with the hood open.  The car didn't have to be that fast anyway, as the filming probably wasn't done at high speeds.  

The sound is dubbed in, seldom was it not done that way even back then. 

The reason I asked about the squealing tires in the dirt is somewhat tongue in cheek, I'm not without experience in this type of activity. I know the sound is not necessarily from what the car was doing at the time. The point I was trying to make was that in the lose dirt, what I'm somewhat familiar with, the sound you would most often hear would be the dirt hitting the inner wheel wells. I have been around enough Sprint Car races to both see and hear the tires spinning of hard packed surfaces . For me seeing these gross misrepresentations being presented as being normal as opposed to being isolated incidences is what I find irritating . I have also had occasions during  my misspent youth resulting in confrontations with authorities in regard too my driving style. I paid my fines and suspensions and all has been forgiven. I also noticed a lot of engine smoke on the Corvette that got worse as the movie went on. If this car had been pieced together as Mark mentioned the 6 cylinder engine in the Corvette that would explain both the sound and the smoke.