Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone on the board cuts out parts for his builds from sheet stock, please read!!

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

A laser cutter can create the livestock van shown. I have considered doing it myself. 

A few notes. 

Artwork - if you can't create the art yourself or know someone that could cost good money,

Cutting cost - laser cutting is about $1 a minute or more commercially. Just a estimate each side would cost about $60 plus materials.

It is a great project and perfect for a laser cutter. 

here are sone laser projects of mine.

Dave,

I offered to help with the file for Doc, what files can your machine read?

49 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

Dave,

I offered to help with the file for Doc, what files can your machine read?

Most laser cutters take input as a vector files. My Hermeies machine uses CorelDraw as input.....but it varies by brand. 

I really misread the title here. I thought you were talking about somebody cutting parts out of sheet rock. That would be a chore! Last weekend my wife went to Jo-Ann's(?) fabric store and I looked at all the Cricut and other types of cutters. I also found out they take Hobby Lobby coupons so now I wonder if that would apply to one of these?

On 3/21/2018 at 2:33 PM, Psychographic said:

There are a lot of different file types that can be vector files. I can export a variety of file extensions, can you read an eps file? That seems to be the most universal file I've found for most machines that follow a vector path.

Corel Draw uses .CDR or .CMX as a native file format, but it can export in many formats.