Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seventies Land Yachts?

Merc-57

Merc-57, I don't think you will ever see many, if any, kits of the big land barges you would like to have as kits being tooled nowadays. The same as I probably will not ever see the wagons I would like to have done. And many of the wagons could be done as stock eliminator cars running today to make such a kit a real 2 in 1. There is just not enough demand for that type of a kit. Sure, everyone would like to have at least 1 kit on their list, but how many of each kit would they sell? I am fairly sure a 2'n'1 kit of a '63-'68 Mopar wagon would sell quite well, since you could build it stock and add a 2nd engine and maybe a 2nd hood and it would sell to both replica stock and drag racers. But can I guarantee such a kit would cover tooling costs? Nope, not unless Moiebus did it, and because they have much of the tooling already done. And Revell could do the same with their '65 and their '66 Impala's. And yes, there are resin bodies for many of these suggestions, but I know several people that are still very reluctant to buy resin or too afraid to try to work with it. But with the land cruisers you would like to see, IMHO there is no way they could sell enough kits to cover the tooling costs, let alone turn a profit. And I am sure some on your list are also on mine, even though I don't build a lot of replica stock models. So the only way I see anything like what you or I want is if somebody here on the board wins Powerball or Mega-Millions and invests some into paying for such tooling to be done. Those are my thoughts and probably a few others as well. Just as I am sure many will agree with yours.

This is an old subject.

I've been hoping for them for 10 years (71 Rivi, any FWD Eldo, Lincoln Mk V, Pontiac Grandville, Buick Centurion, 1976 Cadillac Limousine, etc). We've had a few approaching subjects with the Low-rider wave. But now ?  Did Revell sell enough 77 Monte-Carlos to pay the mold engineering ? What about the 1984 Cadillac ? Isn't the Low-rider trend oldfashion with modelers ? So, why these kits haven't been slightly modified to sell more ( stock 1980 Caddy, 1984 Fleetwood Brougham, 1974 Monte-Carlo, 1977 Olds 4-4-2). Where's the money ? The money ? MONEY ???

I just guess we had a golden era for Land yachts, and today is all about 80s and 90s. Or the good old Hot-Rod/60s subjects.

Nevermind, you know what 1970s car I'd buy by dozens today  if they had it kitted ? Mercedes R107s.

Edited by Young iron

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, Merc-57 said:

Air Trax from Finland makes a killer Chrysler 300 1969 AND a Mercury Marauder - X 100 1970

I need to get these, I have a SAAB 96 1978 from the same makers and it's a beauty! 

I have the 69 Chrysler 300, The Marauder X100, and the 73 Riviera too. Excellent, but pricy.

I would have no problem with a new kit of a '71-2 Buick Riviera, a '69-77 Plymouth/Dodge C-body, or a big mid '70s Ford (a hidden headlight Country Squire would be great, but I would really like a '74 Mercury like Steve McGarrett's ride). These were the new cars I remember as a youngster, and there was something about the styling that was memorable, even with the huge bumpers that were gradually added to nearly every car. Bring 'em on!!! 

1 hour ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Ron where can you purchase AirTrax stuff?

Here's Tapani Rauramo's email addy.......he can fill you in more on how to get his models.

Raurata@yahoo.com

EDIT: I want to add that while Tapani's models are on the pricey side, you won't be disappointed in 'em. I have his Volvo P1800 kit which NO ONE makes and it's about as nice as they come. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

20 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Here's Tapani Rauramo's email addy.......he can fill you in more on how to get his models.

Raurata@yahoo.com

EDIT: I want to add that while Tapani's models are on the pricey side, you won't be disappointed in 'em. I have his Volvo P1800 kit which NO ONE makes and it's about as nice as they come. ;)

20 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Raurata@yahoo.com

Hey Bill how much are his kits on average? I’ve spent some money on resin before.?

Edited by yellowsportwagon
Add

1 hour ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Hey Bill how much are his kits on average? I’ve spent some money on resin before.?

Hmmm.........I bought that P1800 what 10 years ago now? IIRC, the Euro was more expensive against our dollar back then and I believe it was somewhere around $160 for it. You'd have to check with him to see what the prices are now, but he does price 'em Euros.

2 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

The AirTrax kits are quite nice to have, and include a lot of cars that you can't get anywhere else. They did vend at NNL East last year, but I haven't heard if they are returning for this year.  

I definitely remember them from last year's NNL East as that's the first time I met both Tapani and Juha Airio. Juha and I had a VERY nice and long conversation, and Tapani I believe sold out of most of his resin kits that he brought.

I was eyeing a certain BEAUTIFUL late '60's Aston Martin kit, but I didn't bite and now wish I had. I'm planning on going this year barring any hangups (no overnight stay though), and if he's there and those Aston kits are with him, this time I think I'll spring for one.

You all just know I have a certain weakness for European exotics! :P

I want to add I could have swore I had a price list of AirTrax's models. I thought I had scanned it, and it was on my hard disc, but now it's among the missing. If I can locate it, I'll see if I can post it here. It was his list as of last year, and the prices but some items may not be current now.

OK, this was the best I could do. The listing was from 2011.......I could've sworn I scanned a newer listing but I guess not as I can't find it. :(

The listings here are of course off topic, but this is to show the really oddball (but good) stuff Tapani does, and why his resins sell out whenever he gets to a show.

5ac15ac0b1861_Airtrax2011listingandprices.JPG.9e97a45b15625f9290ea0ea68b2b2398.JPG
5ac15abea426a_Airtrax2011listingandprices(3).JPG.d7d6e21958a2c2bfb8c14d5011618544.JPG
5ac15abd67406_Airtrax2011listingandprices(2).JPG.7a03a8a5968ced31d5d613691133b08e.JPG
5ac15abf95039_Airtrax2011listingandprices(4).JPG.0e2f8bddfbe5bd53138463d39b0f85b9.JPG

These were taken from a PDF file I originally got from Tapani, so I had to break it up. ;)

Some of these he still may have available, others he may not.

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Raurata@yahoo.com

I bought mine directly from Juha when they were in America at the NNL East last year. I pre ordered them. I have a 78-9 Cordoba too. I put a Landau roof on it. Now I have to decide on the paint color. I am leaning towards Silver, with a Black roof and hood, with a Red interior.

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I definitely remember them from last year's NNL East as that's the first time I met both Tapani and Juha Airio. Juha and I had a VERY nice and long conversation, and Tapani I believe sold out of most of his resin kits that he brought.

I was eyeing a certain BEAUTIFUL late '60's Aston Martin kit, but I didn't bite and now wish I had. I'm planning on going this year barring any hangups (no overnight stay though), and if he's there and those Aston kits are with him, this time I think I'll spring for one.

You all just know I have a certain weakness for European exotics! :P

You should have gotten that Aston Martin.

6 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

You should have gotten that Aston Martin.

Sigh.........yeah Ron, you know that saying------"You snooze, you lose". My better sense kept telling me to pick it up when I saw it, but with you know with the NNL East's MANY distractions by the time I wanted it, POOF it was gone. :(

Later, I'll drop Tapani a line to see if he's still making it since he won't be there this year.

21 hours ago, restoman said:

I'm currently making my way through Airtrax's '78-'79 Cordoba, being built as a '79 300.

It was worth every penny! I also bought their '69 300 but haven't done much more than oggle it yet... ;)

300 mock up.jpg

That's nice. I removed the 300 stuff from my body and added the Landau roof mouldings like what is in the brochure. I have not decided on the wheels yet, but I fitted everything and got it up on the wheels.

• 1 month later...

I personally wouldn't mind decent scale models of these done as 1/24, 1/25 die casts. As long as the design was right and the scale fidelity was accurate. They would look good on my shelf!

I'm not a huge fan of die cast models, usually because the proportions are wrong or the opening door gimmicks have gaps that you could stick your foot through if done in full size. And I'm so sick of the huge wheel/rubber band tire combos that they come with.

However, I realize there may be more of a market for cars like these as collectibles than as plastic model kits. If they produce them in our scale (not 1/18, 1/32 or 1/43), then yes, I would buy them. But they have to be stock, with proper wheels and tires and accurate to scale!

Plus, The weight of the die cast heft that they would have, could add to the feel of the largeness of these cars and could be considered a bonus. 

What say you?