Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Bugatti Chiron

11 hours ago, mrm said:

If you are going to spend that much work on a sealed kit, I really don't understand why the same results could not be achieved from a $15 Maisto diecast kit, which is available in every Hobby Lobby. 

You can't.  The detail level is not comparable.

14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

As far as protecting re-sellers of the line, that's done by hosing the direct pre-orders on the shipping.  I've done some business with a couple of vendors based in Hong Kong, directly (as in assistance in product design & development) and indirectly (buying stuff), and there's no way in the world it costs $30 to ship that over here.  For example it's about $10 to ship a Meng automotive kit over, and they're dimensionally 3x as big and twice as heavy.

Well, the official rate for shipping 1 kg from China to the US is $20 plus register and tracking.  Whether they ask Hobby Easy or any other partner in Hong Kong to ship them for $10 is at their discretion.

31 minutes ago, fumi said:

You can't.  The detail level is not comparable.

Really? Which detail? There is no engine. The whole thing is sealed. There is a flat bottom, covering everything. There is no suspension. And if there is, it is not visible once assembled. 

You make a model like that of a 250 Testarossa and I will agree with you, that the Bburago/Maisto 1/24 model will be lacking accuracy and detail. Even the franklin Mint would. 

But I am willing to bet that if I invest $130 in aftermarket on top of a Maisto model from Hobby Lobby, I will have no problem to build a model that will be just as good if not better than this resin kit. 

8 minutes ago, mrm said:

But I am willing to bet that if I invest $130 in aftermarket on top of a Maisto model from Hobby Lobby, I will have no problem to build a model that will be just as good if not better than this resin kit.

Yep, after $130 of aftermarket parts, you will have something may or may not be 1/24 that is just as good as a $130 resin kit.  What's your point?

23 minutes ago, fumi said:

Yep, after $130 of aftermarket parts, you will have something may or may not be 1/24 that is just as good as a $130 resin kit.  What's your point?

My point is simple. You can have the same starting point as this kit readilly available in your neighborhood for half the price. 

2 hours ago, fumi said:

Well, the official rate for shipping 1 kg from China to the US is $20 plus register and tracking.  Whether they ask Hobby Easy or any other partner in Hong Kong to ship them for $10 is at their discretion.

That's all fine and well, but the shipping weight on the Chiron is 450g.  I like HD, I own a bunch of their stuff, I will invariably get the 488 GTB when it comes out.  BUT, he's still hosing people on shipping to keep the price inline with what the resellers will price it at, $150 from him, or $151 from Hobby Easy (plus shipping obviously).  I don't disabuse him from protecting the resellers at all, but if you're going to do that, then just sell the stuff like normal HD stuff.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Airfix  have announced a click together Chiron kit in 1/24 scale! It will be interesting to see how good it is. It it is anything like their Veyron the overall shape will look good........albeit with simplifications aimed at children like stickers instead of headlamp unit transparencies for example.

The Alpha resins are very nice kerbside models in their own right, but pricey none the less.