Model Cars Magazine Forum

Piranha Drag Team

I have this kit and am starting it today. 

The dragster has a clear upper body and a yellow tint upper body in the box.  I think I'll use the clear yellow and decal over it to show off the chassis inside.

I've never built any of the three kits in the box so this will be all new to me. Hope it turns out well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up the dragster-only issue at my LHS last week, it was marked down - maybe they weren't selling well? I have a couple from the previous release, but this one has the original box art that I've always liked, plus the correct front wheels, a really nice new decal sheet with several options and variations, and a booklet with a lot of photos I hadn't seen before. Well done, Round2!

1 hour ago, RancheroSteve said:

I picked up the dragster-only issue at my LHS last week, it was marked down - maybe they weren't selling well? 

I doubt any of the Piranha-based kits are good sellers. Unless you're a hardcore drag enthusiast or a fan of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. TV show, how many people have even heard of a Piranha? It's neat that Round2 released these four (or two, maybe) kits again, but I doubt they were wowed by sales demand on any of them.

6 hours ago, iBorg said:

Steve can you post a pic of the decals? I have several of the reissues and the decals would be the reason to pick up this kit.

Here you go, Mike:

image.png.235329e649cc21b852edb6c6e9eaa72d.png

Looks like decals to do two cars easily enough! There's no decal guide on the instructions, but wait - there they are on the sides of the inner box.

Like I said earlier, the original box art, new decal sheet, booklet, and correct front wheels were more than enough incentive for me to buy this one even though I have two copies of the last version. Come to think of it, there is one spoked wheel in that last version, so if you have two copies, you have a pair. And finally, looking at various photos, I realize the car ran without the kit roll bar braces at one time, so if you're into the minutiae of the Piranha, possibilities abound.

10 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

I picked up the dragster-only issue at my LHS last week, it was marked down - maybe they weren't selling well? I have a couple from the previous release, but this one has the original box art that I've always liked, plus the correct front wheels, a really nice new decal sheet with several options and variations, and a booklet with a lot of photos I hadn't seen before. Well done, Round2!

Does the Funny Car/Dragster only kit come with the two upper body shells (one clear and one yellow tinted)?  

Edited by magicmustang