Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP24 Resin Lamborghini Espada

Like I said on automotive forums' car modeling page, SMP24 does beautiful work, it's just the subjects don't interest me. I wish they would kit some more mainstream classic cars, like the Lamborghini 400GT, or Ferrari SWB California Spider (yes, Renaissance does one, but its not as nice at SMP24 work), or Mercedes Pagoda SL or later W107 450sl.

Arguably the Espada was the most mainstream Lamborghini made back then. They built and sold more of those, by a pretty fair margin (a couple hundred more than the entire 400GT & Muria runs combined for example), than anything else until the production of the Countach started.

I just wish I had managed to get one of the Jaramas he did. Those "other" Lamborghinis get no love. All the kits are motorized toys in super odd scales.

I think SMP24 aims to make resin kits for the cars he likes that have no chance to be released by major manufacturers.  He also has a liking to the so called "B grade" supercars that are less prolific but sold more in the market.

The 400GT and in particular the pagoda Benz are exactly the kind of projects Hasegawa would do.  Better mail bomb them if you want one.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I have their gorgeous 68-71 Maserati Ghibli, curbside but highly detailed, I've started it but can't decide on a colour, so it's just in the box!

IMG_1298.JPG

That is one on my short list of all-time favorite cars!  Beautiful profile! 

None of the cartoonish chiseled  bodies (which look like they came out of transformers movie) many cars have nowadays.

Oooooh! Maserati Ghibli! :wub::wub:

Is this kit still available? I went to that site but didn't notice it listed. Despite these being "curbside" seems as though he does print full engine detail. One would just have to craft up the engine bay structures and whatnot, and cut out the hood.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, peteski said:

None of the cartoonish chiseled  bodies (which look like they came out of transformers movie) many cars have nowadays.

I don't know what some of these designers are smoking these days but there are some styling trends that are just flat out ugly and ungainly.

For example, trying to put fender "humps" on a car where the front end is way too short, and the wheels too close to the front door.

On a Maserati Ghibli, it would look beautiful...........On a Nissan Altima? No. :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Oooooh! Maserati Ghibli! :wub::wub:

Is this kit still available?

The Ghibli is long out of production.  SMP24 releases their kit by batch of 50 kits, after that he will retire them.  I wish I got wind of the X1/9 and the 365GT4/2+2 when they came out, I have been looking for those for a very long time.

Of all the kits he made, the Lancia Montecarlo, the Navajo, the Mangusta and this Espada can still be found in the market.  I am not sure about the Montreal.

According to the flyer inside the Espada kit, their next release will be the Ferrari Rainbow, targeted to be released in September.

1 hour ago, fumi said:

The Ghibli is long out of production.  SMP24 releases their kit by batch of 50 kits, after that he will retire them.  I wish I got wind of the X1/9 and the 365GT4/2+2 when they came out, I have been looking for those for a very long time.

Of all the kits he made, the Lancia Montecarlo, the Navajo, the Mangusta and this Espada can still be found in the market.  I am not sure about the Montreal.

According to the flyer inside the Espada kit, their next release will be the Ferrari Rainbow, targeted to be released in September.

Thanks for the info, but a bummer about the Maserati. :(

That Espada looks very interesting..............not one of my favorite Lambos but a nice looking car just the same. I'll bookmark his site to keep up to date with what he has. This is the first I've ever heard of him! This also reinforces how I feel about 3D printing. It's the wave of the future, and models that otherwise would never see the light of day, can now be had with very good .STL files and some patience to get what we want. ;)

On July 6, 2018 at 5:57 AM, fumi said:

Fumi,

I saw your post on the Model Car Magazine forum (see above). I was thinking that if you know where to find rare SMP24 kits, you might know where I can obtain a Hobby Design Mercedes-Benz SLR Roadster Conversion kit (photo attached).

I've been looking on-line for a long time without success. 

I'll appreciate any information you might have.

I'm in the US.

Thank you!

John Sharisky

HobbyDesignBenzSLRroadsterconversion.jpg

Edited by john sharisky
Error

1 hour ago, john sharisky said:

I saw your post on the Model Car Magazine forum (see above). I was thinking that if you know where to find rare SMP24 kits, you might know where I can obtain a Hobby Design Mercedes-Benz SLR Roadster Conversion kit (photo attached).

I found one in Taiwan Ruten online marketplace listed for NT $1,990 with one left.

https://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21203036277418#qa&p=1

You will definitely need to find a proxy buyer if you intend to purchase.  The shop seems legit but they probably won't deal with foreign buyers.